Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Bullet question  (Read 9005 times)

arvonian

Bullet question
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:51:24 AM »
Found this bullet at the recent DIV at the Beauregard farm in Culpeper Va. I haven't had a chance to measure it yet, but appears to be MM 108 New Austrian with one exception. Mine has a conical base where 108 is a solid base. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Bullet question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:48:45 AM »
Sure looks like a "New Austrian" to me.  I have never seen one with a base cavity though.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 02:39:49 PM »
Any possibility the base is carved on?  Can you shoot us a picture of the bottom?

arvonian

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:45:16 PM »
Here are a couple more pics. The base does not appear to be carved although there are a couple of nicks inside the base. The cone comes to a point at the bottom.
Thanks for any help!
Steve

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »
I have one very similar and have been advised by a noted cartridge collector it is a .55 caliber for Model 1855 Austrian musket & likely was the prototype used by the Raleigh NC Deaf, Dumb, & Blind Institute in developing the New Ausrtian with solid base;  Similar to their use of the Belgian Nessler for the so called shotgun slugs that actually were for smoothbore muskets.

ETEX

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 02:04:25 PM »
I was out of town last year in April and didn't see this post until David added a few comments. I have never seen or even heard of a New Austrian until I just saw and read this post. Does anyone have anymore information on this bullet. Good information David, thanks.

ETEX

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 02:05:39 PM »
I need to add "with a cavity"