Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: What is it 3?  (Read 7879 times)

ETEX

What is it 3?
« on: February 04, 2012, 02:19:55 PM »
This bullet was dug in Corinth in a Texas Cavalry camp. Measures out at .566 x .992 x 437 with a deep plug cavity at .67. It is not a cut off bullet, but I would appreciate any ideas or information.

Tom Stelma

• Email
Re: What is it 3?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:31:40 PM »
Michael,

It looks like a Texas Troop bullet.

Tom S.

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:04:57 PM »
That's what I was thinking but it seems awful short. My Texas Troops bullet measures at 1.072 in length. Tom and Wes what length of Texas Troops (Cove Creek) do your bullets measure to.

ETEX

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 02:51:28 PM »
Wes, that is the thing about this bullet. The Texas Troops has three grooves and is a nose cast bullet. Can't be a short pour and I can't see any markings showing it being cut off. It does have a large push in the base skirt causing it to be out of round. The profile and everything leads to the Texas Troops (Cove Creek) but that is why I have it listed as an unknown. I am not that familiar with pouring bullets and is there something that could happen during the process on a nose cast bullet to prevent the lower ring from being filled. I guess something could have been in the mould or possibly a bad mould, don't know.