Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Largest Centerfire Rifle  (Read 7890 times)

ETEX

Largest Centerfire Rifle
« on: January 27, 2012, 02:07:20 PM »
Wow, is all I can say. I wouldn't even consider shooting that beast. A 2400 grain bullet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohy9gWz7kk

Tom Stelma

• Email
Re: Largest Centerfire Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 06:30:39 PM »
Michael,

I think the 1 inch Gatling gun bullet is bigger but not sure as all my reference material & notes are in storage.

Someone asked about the 1-ring "Tom Green" bullets. I was involved in a discussion some time ago with someone (Chris Hirch) who stated that he believed the 1-ring bullets sometimes "show a small gap and some show marks they have been fired, thus the small gap developed upon the firing of the projectile, causing the ring to appear.

Someone asked about the "Wishing Well" bullet finds: I know of the 69-caliber French triangular, big 72/73-caliber, the "Greene" Enfield bullet and some round balls (what caliber I do not remember) (this is in a North South Trader magazine issue but my reference is in storage. I personally think it is an extra long Enfield bullet not made for the Greene carbine or rifle as the bullet for both is a flat base short bullet.

These are some recollections without any notes nor reference material.

I hope I did not muddy the water but brought some help.

Tom S.

ETEX

Re: Largest Centerfire Rifle
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 03:41:43 AM »
Not at all Tom, the 1 inch is Gatling is larger but this monster was designed as a rifle and what I posted was what it had on the site. I just wanted to throw it out there to let some folks see a monster of a bullet at 2400 grains or better.