Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: MM-111/TT-71/RBTRF IV 228  (Read 17519 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: MM-111/TT-71/RBTRF IV 228
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »
Yep, but in my opinion the "LeMat slug" is a phony.  Not sure about the "Cleburne"

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 05:40:50 PM »
Misipirelichtr,

I was just speaking generally and was not focusing on your opinion.
I'm sure both sides can be right when it comes to these fluke or rare bullets that pop up.

I've been collecting for about ten years now but am an absolute newb when it comes to the knowledge shown by others on the forum.  It's nice to have a multi faceted hobby that we share in. If not for this I think I would I would have lost it years ago instead of just recently.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 11:46:20 PM »
I tried to put the MM111 in here to scale with the measurements provided in the book and the above threads. Unfortunately, the book picture is straight on and the middle bullet is slightly tilted back, but its close.

I don't have time to root around in my attic to dig out Bill's NSTCW article, but if anyone can post up a picture of that bullet, it might be helpful. 

Its getting a little tough to follow this thread because some of the originally postings above have been edited by the posters after more posts were made, but the gist is still there.  ETEX called to say 228 n RBTR IV is a "Tudor" bullet, but I don't have time to find that reference in the book either and after seeing the bullet to the right of it in the book, I suddenly felt ill.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:54:08 PM by emike123 »

ETEX

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 02:11:08 PM »
Wes, when I talked with Mike I referenced the 228 being a pewter bullet. You know how the yanks are they can't speak or understand the English language as spoken below the Mason/Dixon.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 09:42:59 PM »
Not my fault I can't hear things properly on my company issued cell phone.  I keep getting told we're getting new ones any day but the speaker sucks.

I had visions of Henry the 8th shooting these bullets at stags after hearing it was a "Tudor," not "PooDoor" as ETEX pronounces it, bullet and thought the mystery was nearly solved.  Alas...

A few years back, the late Albert Jewell got me all in a lather when he said he had a "Pirate" fuse for me recovered from Wilmington.  I had never heard of such a rare fuse and got all atwitter thinking about the possibilities of a new addition to my collection.  After all Blakcbeard roamed those waters.  Well, it turns out this was another case of my Southern hearing going awry -- which is weird because my parents are from the South and my Mom particularly has a drawl and I understand her -- what Albert had was a very nice "Parrott" fuse, not a unique "Pirate" fuse.  I sucked up my pride and crestfallen self, bought the fuse from him, and promptly flipped it to Carl who later flipped it to Dave the Plumber.  Its probably in the Smithsonian now...

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 10:38:56 PM »
Pirate fuse. Ha ha ha, now that's funny.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

Tom Stelma

• Email
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »
Hello,

I believe the bullets posted by the Texasreb are 54-caliber Austrian Lorenz bullets, and not civil war era bullets.

I am trying to attach a send & bottom view but if I can not attach it, please feel free to email me & I will send the pictures to you, OK?

Tom Stelma

R. J. in LA

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 03:19:33 PM »
Mais Aggie Reb, don' make fun ah how we talk down hair in sout Loozyana! We don' got no accent down here! You gonna hurt my cousin T-Boy's and his other brother T-Boy's feelins wit talk like dat! You done been watchin' too much of dat show, Swamp People!  I jes got  too, to, uh tw..... words for you, be have!

Seriously, you guys amaze me at the knowledge that comes from a thread such as this & also how you can have a little fun sometimes! Thanks for your posts.

R. J.

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 10:44:52 PM »
AggieReb, in reading your post, I think I have learned something new tonight  - While I have 3 of Tom Stelma's cds/books, I was not aware he had one out on European bullets.  Tom, is it true, and if so if Mike and Carl will let me be so crass, how can I get a copy?

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 11:49:57 PM »
Feel free to be crass!!  :-)
Best,
Carl

Bill Ewing

• Email
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 10:37:34 PM »
Boys - I have been out of this too long.

Yes I have an MM111.  It is pristine and dug and made of lead.

It is the one on the right.

Bill Ewing

• Email
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 09:56:38 PM »
Aggiereb,

Looking at your two earlier posted bullets, I would not considered either of them to be the MM111 I possess or the one in the book.  The ring patterns are close but not different.  My ring patterns are tapered on the top and bottom of the opening toward the deepest part of the ring.  It also has a big base sprue and most of these Euro style bullets are flat bottomed.

Just my opinion in comparison and as a cursed engineer, I play in the details a bunch.

Bill