Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: McKee and Mason Taxonomy, Commentary on Bullets 71-104  (Read 8460 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
McKee and Mason Taxonomy, Commentary on Bullets 71-104
« on: December 20, 2011, 11:55:07 AM »
Jim Thomas sent me this to post on the next section of M&M #s 71-104

#71 – Burnside carbine.  This “modified ball” was made starting in 1864.
#72 – Sharps & Hankins.  Early model.
#73 – carved minie.
#74-77 – Maynards. #75 is most typical profile.
#78 – I have no clue.  Not a Morse.  Has European and post-war Maynard-like characteristics.
#79 – Savage.  This is a short pour, NOT a variant pattern of Savage.
#80 & 81 – Colt “old model” variants.  Neither really fits the true Colt pattern.  #80 is alittle short...rebated base hard to see...could be fired or a short pour.  #81 appears to be the Richmond pattern of these with tapered lower portion.  Photos are poor for these two.
#82 & 83 – Colt “new model” variants.  Same issues as above...poor specimens and photos.  I suspect #82 is fired and #83 is a short pour.
#84 & 86 – Maynards.  Early model mostly used by CS.
#85 – Probably English, probably from Eley and employed a skin cartridge.  Maynard did not make pistol ammunition! 
#87 – .31 cal. Colt with sprue still attached.
#88 – Dimmock, Birge’s Western Sharpshooters, 66th Illinois... One of a zillion calibers.  Many base variants possible, teats and cone cavities are the usual, but the base plug to the mould was often lost which resulted in the solid base varieties.  These were nose cast so variations in the nose are to be expected also.
#89 – Richmond Colt.  Same issues as Colts above...poor specimen.  Possibly fired, looks somewhat compressed, also looks like a rammer ring on nose.
#90 & 96 – LeMat revolver.  Made at Richmond.
#91-93 – Tranter.  English.
#94 – .44 cal. Nesler, NCIDDB, Raleigh, NC.  Very scarce.     See RB4, #34.  More to come on these in RB5/6.
#95 – Looks like a fired LeMat or Tranter.
#97 – .36 Richmond Colt, 2nd pattern.
#98 & 102 – European looking.
#99 – .36 cal. Colt, St. Louis Arsenal
#100 – Looks like a Colt to me.  Looks to be a rebated base.
#101 – Colt.  See TT#28 for better pic.
#103 – Junk, modern casting from an unknown mould.      
#104 – Unknown for tige rifle.  Crimean War, Tamisier-like bullet.  NOT for a Hall carbine and not made by Merrill!  The Hall carbine fired round balls.  Merrill did convert 100-200 .69 cal. Weapons prior to the CW, however, the cartridges provided for them were made with bullets supplied by the US government.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
Re: McKee and Mason Taxonomy, Commentary on Bullets 71-104
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:20:33 PM »
Additionally, the Colt "old model" bullet (#80) was also used for the .44 cal Colt revolving rifle cartridge.

Bill Ewing

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:52:45 PM »
Sounds like I need to photo my collection and have it posted for analysis.  Any takers?  Or Mike can come pay me big bucks and take them all home with him. ::)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:11:35 PM »
Thanks Bill, but I am pretty well set on Witham specials!

Welcome back...looking forward to your insights on the bullets in these threads.

ETEX

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:04:13 PM »
Mike, that could be a whole new thread (not) :-X

Bill its good to seeing you on the site and thanks for adding the photo of the MM-111 on the other thread.

Mike isn't it about time someone picks up and runs with the next set of numbers for the taxonomy. Really don't know if all the Enfields need to be covered except the MM-233 (carved) the MM-239 light fired to cause the large diameter, etc.