Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Gimlets  (Read 13493 times)

alwion

• Email
Gimlets
« on: December 10, 2011, 10:45:16 PM »
any way to tell a US artillery gimlet from a screw starter. Being marked isn't always good clue , because there are too many recently marked. see an awfull lot marked US online for sale that look like the ones down at the pawn shop:)

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: Gimlets
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 09:08:45 AM »
     Unfortunately, there is not a good reference book on artillery impliments. Although that might be changing soon. The pre war Mordecai drawings have alot of good information in them. The US government had specific standards and dimensions that tools were made to. Bannermann's catalogs show alot of good information, and are a hoot to read through. Wish I was around back in the day with a thousand dollars or two in my pocket !!
     Most of these 'fantasy' artillery gimlets, fuze wrenches, tow hooks, worms, ring gauges, mortar ball tongs etc, etc you see on ebay are being manufactured in the north east by some unscrupulus blacksmith, then sold by dealers as 'confederate cottage industry made'. Which is complete bunk.  I have emailed the dealers that offer the same junk time after time that they are selling crap, and they do not respond with a defense, nor do they stop selling it. If you are ever in question of some item, post it here or PM me and we can all give you our opinions. There is one thing being uneducated and unknowingly selling 'bad' items, a whole other knowingly selling crap for profit. Believe me, I had a very, very expensive learning lesson in collecting artillery tools....     
    Anyway, as far as gimlets go, forget all these wood handle US marked ones - they are junk. Always keep in mind when looking at a gimlet that it has to have a shaft that can fit down the cannon vent hole, which is basically the same diameter as a friction primer. That is the first go or no go decision.
        Hope my rambling helps, but i am still burned by past purchases, and happy to spread the word.           David

alwion

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:18:52 AM »
So are all gimlets steel handled, not wood?  none marked? or is this just something there no way I can learn since I don't have a way to compair several dozen?.

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:36:48 PM »
Here is what I have found about gimlets. If this is not correct, I would enjoy a correction.

Alfred Mordecai's "Artillery for the United States Land Service" (1849) shows two tools. The gunner's gimlet is a wire tool used in the vent hole and made specifically for artillery. Mordecai defines the gunner's gimlet as being made of "No. 8 wire". Pictured below is what I mean by a wire gimlet. This is made according to US specs set out in Mordecai (1849) and Gibbons (1863). 

There is another tool in Mordecai called the "fuze gimlet" that is defined as a “common gimlet” of .2 inch diameter. That kind of common gimlet is what is pictured in most eBay auctions. James Gilchrist Benton in "A Course of Instruction in Ordnance and Gunnery" (1862) also defines the "fuze gimlet" as a "common gimlet" used by the artilleryman. The fuze gimlets are not mentioned anywhere in Gibbons (!), but they were used "for boring across the composition instead of sawing off the fuze." In other words, they could be used instead of a fuze saw. There were 3-12 of these common gimlets in each limber.   

Now, the clear implication is that the fuze gimlets were just ordinary woodworking tools of a certain size, not made, designed, or issued specifically for artillery. They are defined as "common gimlets" in both Mordecai and Benton, and Gibbons never mentions them as part of the artillery tools. Therefore, there are NO distinguishing characteristics that separate the gimlets used for artillery from those used to make cribbage boards. Unlike the wire gunner's gimlet, which sometimes has arsenal markings, no fuze gimlets that I can find on the Internet have any military markings at all. These woodworking gimlets were not used to clear vent holes - that was the wire gimlet, a completely different tool. 

So when we say that a gimlet was used for "clearing the primer debris from the fuse hole," we are confusing the gunner's gimlet, which was long enough to do that, with the fuze gimlet, used for woodboring.

My tentative conclusion is that there is no such thing as an “artillery fuze gimlet”. I cannot find evidence that the military made gimlets specifically for this purpose. There were common gimlets used to bore fuzes, but these were common woodworking tools. Gimlets were used for artillery tasks, just as saws, hammers, nails, and other common implements. The question remains: How do we know that a gimlet was used by an artilleryman?   

I conclude that unless we have direct provenance linking a specific common gimlet of .2 inch diameter to an artilleryman, we cannot know if it was used for artillery. It remains to the buyer to decide if digging a common gimlet on a battlefield is enough provenance.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:23:49 PM »
well that sure makes collecting tools harder than shells:( 

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 09:55:49 AM »
I just trolled through the Net again to look at gimlets, and again my conclusions are substantiated - there are no military-issue fuze gimlets. A dealer who gets it correct is Harry Ridgeway, who rightly posts gunner's gimlets and no "fuze gimlets".

Many other dealers post a wide range of wood gimlets, calling them fuze gimlets, artillery gimlets, or other names, and all of them getting the usage wrong - writing that they were used to clean vent holes.

This site http://armscollectors.com/mgs/artillery.htm reaches the right conclusion "Collectors should be aware that there is little or no difference between these small "artillery gimlets" and many commercial gimlets available at that time and for long after the passing of muzzle loading cannon. They frequently show up in tool collections at flea markets." but still pictures a wood gimlet as an "artillery implement" and gets the usage wrong.

Tremendous confusion over this simple tool.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 02:58:18 PM »
Hello Scott,
    Below is a set of wood workers gimlets which are similar to the ones usually shown with ACW artillery impliments.
Regards,
John