Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Miscellaneous / Re: Display
« Last post by Dave on July 05, 2023, 04:41:11 PM »
Mike, thanks for the response. Love your displays!  In awe of your collection- especially your base mark collection!  Love how you have them displayed. Some good ideas there!
« Last post by redbob on July 05, 2023, 09:00:34 AM »
Very classy indeed, how do you display your balls and shells? Are they labeled and are they in any particular order?
« Last post by emike123 on July 04, 2023, 08:06:21 PM »
This picture shows my old and newer displays.  Originally I had my bullets in display cases with foam rubber that pressed them against the glass and held them in place gently.  This works for the larger bullets but as an early Covid project, I re-did a display of mostly smaller (and also harder to hold in place items that are bigger like the Agar cartridge) by putting them in styrofoam carved out with pins to hold them in place.  I should've used foamcore like Mac did as it hold them better, but this case is displayed flat so the stuff doesn't slide around.

I have indexes taped to the backs of the cases with what each bullet is by row and some other info such as where its from, where I got it and sometimes what I paid.  I should include a photo of the layout as is that corresponds to the write up in case someone drops the case.  I have had two bullet collectors send me their collections to sel and when I got them the bullets were all in a jumble so re-tying the bullets to their legend was an hours long effort.
« Last post by emike123 on July 04, 2023, 07:59:59 PM »
This case I made to display basemarked bullets.  A plywood insert with holes drilled in it so you can see the basemarks if you're here in person, not so much in this crummy photo.

« Last post by emike123 on July 04, 2023, 07:58:41 PM »
Sorry to be so slow in replying to this but here are some, not all, of my bullet display cases.  Hopefully enough to get the gist of how mine are done.

1 picture is of Mac Mason's bullet display which I own.  These are in custom built cabinets he made and the bullets are mounted into foam core backing but out to accommodate them and held in place with small pins.
Bullets / Re: Teat base Gardner
« Last post by emike123 on July 03, 2023, 11:15:41 AM »
I agree with MGM Radio.  I think there are 3 stages.  Deep cavity first, shallower cavity next and then the dot added to help control for blow thru.  After this I was told by Jim Thomas I think that they moved on to what we call the salvaged lead type at the Richmond Arsenal.  Jim can correct me if I'm wrong about that.
« Last post by Dave on June 29, 2023, 10:08:42 PM »
I see. Thanks for the reply. It?s a first for me.
« Last post by mgmradio on June 29, 2023, 09:20:11 PM »
Yes they are found. I believe they are a little later in the war. The moulds were redesigned to help eliminate the bubble that formed at the top of the cavity during pouring. The bubble was the cause of the large number of blow thru Gardner?s found.
« Last post by Dave on June 29, 2023, 08:39:03 PM »
adding pictures
Bullets / Teat base Gardner
« Last post by Dave on June 29, 2023, 07:54:51 PM »
I may appear to have arrived at the dance late, but I have a dropped .58 cal Gardner with a small teat. It?s the first I?ve seen. Is this common?  I?ll post a picture in a few minutes.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10