Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: ebay solves mystery of why South lost the war  (Read 8208 times)

Selma Hunter

Re: ebay solves mystery of why South lost the war
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:07:06 PM »
It gets even worse.  Some of it hadn't even been invented yet, apparently! 

Look at this item and make note of my question to the "Seller" regarding the "de-milled" question.  He sent me a message asking what "de-milled" meant.  God forbid a bottom-fused shell - which it in fact is but has apparently had the fuse removed if I read the photo right.  I did forward the email to Bart for a better date estimate - I'm guessing 1895-1995 generally.

But, HE LIVES NEAR GETTYSBURG (York, PA his listing says) AND "THIS MAY HAVE COME FROM THERE!  WHO KNOWS?"

God, do please help us all.  As I have said on many occasions, if all the ebay/other gift shop trash that was advertised/sold as having G-burg provenance - real, implied or alluded to - was in fact dug/found there then the entire county would look like that big open pit copper mine out in Utah. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Civil-War-Era-Large-Artillery-Shell-/161059870200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257fea95f8

I suppose I have become jaded by so many people stretching so many claims so far that they begin to feel like a wad of fresh gum stuck to my shoe and strung out behind me on a hot sidewalk.  However, when it comes to ordnance I lose my sense of humor lest someone else lose something far more tangible and much more difficult to detach/re-attach!

joevann

• Email
Re: ebay solves mystery of why South lost the war
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 09:56:34 PM »
Caveat emptor.