Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Corky Huey  (Read 5976 times)

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
Corky Huey
« on: September 10, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »
Sorry to say the Corky died last night.  Not sure why just yet.  Corky was a leading authority and collector of English material imported into the Confederacy.

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: Corky Huey
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 06:45:22 AM »
        I'm stunned. It's just one of those phone calls you hate to receive. Corky and I have done a lot of trading over the years. His presence will be missed by all that knew him, that's for sure.
        I hope the reference book he was working on gets finished, I know he was close. It would be a great honor to him to have the book published.  He had a lot of friends here in the community, and I know we are all shocked from this sudden loss

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 02:13:29 PM »
  Thanks for posting the notification, Jim. That news is quite surprising. I immediately said a prayer for Corky and his family when I read your report.

Corky seemed to be in fine health when I talked extensively with him at the Richmond relic-show two months ago. He wanted to make a copy of an 8x10 photo given to me by one the High Bridge cache finders, showing them standing by the stacks of shells, so I brought it to him, and I put him in contact with the guy who recently wrote a major article on the CS forts and artillery armament at High Bridge. I mention that info here to alert y'all that he was doing in-depth investigation of that subject shortly before his death.

Corky will be particularly missed by those of us who knew him well. Like Dave, I hope the vaious projects he was working on can be picked up and completed by other civil war historians.

Regards,
Pete 

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 06:51:02 PM »
Services have been posted:

Service for family and friends will be held from 2:00 pm until 3:30 pm on Sunday, September 15, 2013 at The McDougald Funeral Home in Anderson, South Carolina followed by burial at Old Silver Brook Cemetery at 4:00 pm.  A separate remembrance service will be held 2:00 pm on Monday, September 16, 2013 at Forest Lake Presbyterian Church, Columbia, South Carolina.  In lieu of flowers, the family encourages contributions to, S.C. Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum, Attention Allen Roberson, 301 Gervais Street, Columbia, SC 29201.

More information on Corky found at:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/independentmail/obituary.aspx?n=cleveland-adger-huey-corky&pid=166919611&fhid=5762

FYI...I moved this thread from "Remembering the Great Ones" to "Miscellaneous" to discuss his passing and started a new thread in "Remembering the Great Ones" for people to reflect on his contributions to our hobby.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:00:28 PM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl