Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Bormann Underplug  (Read 4481 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Bormann Underplug
« on: August 05, 2011, 03:12:18 PM »
Hello,

One of the things that seemed odd to me was the underplug located in the milled base 24lber Bormann ball I showed in the other thread.   I feel real confident that the fuse in that 24 lber shown in the other thread is a Yankee fuse.  See image below for a reminder.  :)    The quality of the casting and the composit metal of the ball seems more likely of a Northern manufacture than Southern to me.  When I look into that milled hole in the base it has a iron underplug supporting the fuse.  It got me thinking (which is always dangerous as I'm sure Mike was about to chime in...) that the brass vrs. iron use of the underplug surely must indicate something.  I have a friend who found four 24lber Bormann balls all in one hole and they were all missing the fuses.  All had iron underplugs.  Do all 24 lbers use iron?  Are the iron late war use?  I think obviously iron is not just CS but did both use the iron and the brass?  I looked in the late Chuck Jones' book and he doesn't mention who uses what.  Anyone have an thoughts on this subject?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:14:50 PM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Bormann Underplug
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:43:12 PM »
Carl,
   Not sure I can answer your question, which is a good one.    Looking at the top image of the bormann it appears to me that the 'US' stamp has a backwards 'S'   If so I believe that occured in yankee fuses.
   Is that the Bormann that can be unscrewed to disclose the steelsupport plug (disc)?
    Steel might indicate a shortage of brass, it would also corrode  and make unloading next to impossible.
    I know that doesn't answer your above question, but just some added thoughts to extend your post.
Regards,
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 11:52:29 PM »
John,

Thanks for the thoughts and great picture as always. Not much doubt about who made the fuse!  Great point about the corosion aspect.  I don't recall ever hearing about a copper shortage for our Northern neighbors though.
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 12:56:57 AM »
CWArtillery wrote:
> Do all 24 lbers use iron?

No.

> Are the iron late war use?

Iron underplugs were used throughout the war.

> I think obviously iron is not just CS but did both use the iron and the brass?

Yes.

From my studies of sawed-in-half Bormann shells, whose fuzehole reveals their identity as CS-made or US-made, I can say that in Field Artillery calibers (6, 12, and 24-pounder), most CS-made Bormanns have a brass underplug, and most of the US-made ones have an iron underplug.  But please keep in mind, I've seen plenty of exceptions, meaning CS with iron, US with brass ...enough that I would not say "brass means CS" and "iron means US."

Regards,
Pete

Abdula the Butcher

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »
I know I'm revealing my ignorance here, but what's the story behind the backwards "S"?
Also, to add to the mix of mystery in the story ...... There were a total of three "Cannon balls" which came out of basicly the same hole ....... This one (pictured), which was a shell loaded with powder only, and two others which were case shots .......One of the case shots still had the tin straps on it, and all three of them had a different variation of U.S. fuse.  The only one with a "U.S." in the fuse was the one here. ???