Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Milled Base Brooke Shells, question;  (Read 4023 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Milled Base Brooke Shells, question;
« on: July 07, 2011, 10:11:19 AM »
To All,
    I have read somewhere, can't remember where, that some of the 6.4 and 7 inch milled base Brooke Bolts were manufactured to be filled with black powder.  These BOLTS are said the have a threaded joint about three to four inches up from the base.  The joint is very tight and difficult to see especially if the body has become corred and will present a fine line joint.  the BOLT l would have been detonated by the heat of penetration in an ironclad vessel.
    Any comments on this ruimor might lay it to rest or prove to be factual.
Best Regards,
John aka Bart
P.s. I shoujld have mentioned that these were BOLTS not shells.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:30:36 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
Re: Milled Base Brooke Shells, question;
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 10:12:26 AM »
I have a couple of these. I will take a look. Never noticed it, though.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Milled Base Brooke Bolts, question;
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 11:52:37 AM »
Scott and All,
       I found the reference on the rare Brooke bolt:  Pagte 193 of Jack Bell's book. There is also a one of a kind armor piercing bolt on page 189 of his book.
     Jack also states that the bolt on age 189 is fitted for a C.S. Naval Water Cap fuse.
      Col. John Biemick, USA ret. did test fit a water cap fuse and the threads matched.
      It is my contention that the fuse, if used, as a brass plug could have also had the same threads, was used to function the bolt should it have missed the intended target vessel and thereby protect neighboring friendly vessels.  Armor piercing projectiles are designed to explode shortly after penetration of the armor plating.  The achieve detonation by use of a Water Cap fuse would be shear luck.  Heat from penetration was the intended method of detonation.
     The fact that these bolts were intended to be used against ironclads may account for no recoveries.
Jack states that there is no record of this design.  Can anyone produce a drawing of it?
Regards,
John
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:16:00 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »