Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: The Schenkl Combination Time/Percussion Fuze;  (Read 10220 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
The Schenkl Combination Time/Percussion Fuze;
« on: November 05, 2012, 05:23:52 PM »
To All Interested;
     Although well engineered and probably difficult to manufacture, this fuse was unreliable and prone to premature functioning which caused in- flight detonations during a prolonged flight of over 7-8 seconds.  The premature detonations was usually caused by melt down of the fuse body.  The patent model was made of brass, had the productionmodels been made of brass instead of the white metal it might hve given good service.
      Although Schenkl claimed a combination feature,  the percussion feature failed to work as designed.  In Schenkl's second model, having the side locking pin rotor cap, he connected the fuse body holes with an annular groove containing powder in a paste form and was said to have assisted propagation of the flame to the main projectile filler.  The percussion feature, was by design, luck. When at impact the fuse body opened up like a can of Pillsbury Dough Boy biscuits as noted by Dolug Adams in his research of fired fuses.
      In operation the gunner pulled the large safety pin, lifted the rotor locking pin and set desired time.  At setback the sharp edged slider sheared a second shear pin and struck a percussion cap which ignited a small powder charge igniting the time mixture.  The mix burrned down until a hole in the mix container matched up with a hole in the fuse body and ignited the annular powder groove.
      Does anyone know if this fuse was used in anyother projectile except the Schenkl Case Shot having a rather un-streamlined nose?  Comments encourged.
Regards,
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: The Schenkl Combination Time/Percussion Fuze;
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 09:54:29 AM »
More super renditions, John.  I got a kick when someone explained how that side spring version worked when I was able to operate it on a non dug one of these of my own I had and unscrew the top piece.

Do you have that short pamphlet Schenkl published about these fuses?  Mike Klinepeter re-published it a couple decades or so ago.  Carl has a copy and maybe if there is interest he could scan it for us sometime.  I cannot operate my scanner (alien HP technology), but in a pinch I could take photos of the copy I have.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 11:43:33 AM »
Hi Mike and thank you,
    Not sure I understand about your side latch rotor cap.   No I do not have the Schenkl publication but wouold sure like a clean scan of it.  I have photos of it but they are not clear.
Regards,
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »
In the second model you have drawn, that butterfly clip on the side of the head is on a post that slides up and down.  When it is up, the head can unscrew.  Down, it goes in one of the numbered holes on the flange.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 09:07:12 AM »
John,

When I get a chance to do so I'll make you a copy.  Please email me your address and I'll send it to you.

Best,
Carl
Best,
Carl