Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: The General  (Read 3946 times)

Lamar

• Email
The General
« on: July 12, 2015, 06:51:53 PM »
My wife & I were discussing what movies to watch on Netflix, & I asked her if she'd ever seen Buster Keaton's silent masterpiece The General. She'd never heard of it, so I introduced her to a little culture that, despite having obtained an education from what she considers to be a fine institution (but Mike & I will agree that UNC doesn't qualify), she had managed to avoid. I hadn't seen it in over 45 years, so we both enjoyed it. It's about a Confederate train stolen by the Yankees, and the (our hero) engineer's efforts to recapture it.

It's a great movie. It even has some (maybe not 100% authentic) artillery scenes! I'm sure some of you have seen it, and some probably have never heard of it. The good news is it's on YouTube - here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnrVXqQDQr8

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: The General
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 09:11:17 PM »
Per Wiki: Orson Welles stated that Keaton's The General is "the greatest comedy ever made, the greatest Civil War film ever made, and perhaps the greatest film ever made."

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 10:57:49 PM »
  I've of course heard of that film, and seen a few very brief clips from it. But I hadn't previously heard of Welles statement about it. Thanks, Mike. Given such a lofty review, I'll have to go watch it.

Regards,
Pete

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 10:16:04 PM »
the film they show of the General at the museum where it is now housed indoors, is a very good 'Hollywood' production and worth watching