Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: bar /chain shot civil war?  (Read 18956 times)

alwion

• Email
bar /chain shot civil war?
« on: February 14, 2012, 06:58:23 PM »
were bar and chain shot still in use by the CW?. These examples are from earlier shipwrecks, but still neat to see.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8012&page=2

divedigger

• Email
Re: bar /chain shot civil war?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 08:35:45 PM »
cool stuff, here's a 32lber I found.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 08:37:19 PM »
I found that one in a mix of Civil War and pre CW junk.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:14:02 PM »
Alwion wrote:
> Were bar and chain shot still in use by the CW?.

The Confederates used some obsolete artillery projectiles which were still laying around in old arsenals and forts at the beginning of the war.  For example, a Virginia digger found about a dozen stands of 24-pounder Quilted Grapeshot in a river battery on the banks of the James about 30-40 miles south of Richmond.  It was an early-war fortification, which the Confederates had to abandon when the US Navy accompanied McLellan up the Peninsula in Spring 1862.  So, it is "probable" that a few very-prewar barshot, etc, got used in the first 12 months of the war.  But I have not come across any records of such obsolete projectiles being manufactured during the civil war.

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 02:04:52 PM by Pete George »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 11:49:53 PM »
David,

Very cool find!!!  It's condition is really good.   You have found some neat items! 
Best,
Carl

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 02:35:46 AM »
Please notice that, while the balls are cast iron, the cross bar is wrought iron, probably so it would not snap on firing. Each ball is made, a hole is cut (the ones I have seen are not cast with the hole, but crudely cut), and the wrought iron bar is welded into the hole.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 08:10:11 AM »
Thanks Pete and Scott for the info. David, thanks for sharing. Got interested, looked around and found one for sale that is a 6lb with some flaking on ends. Interestingly, it shows the cut in the end and the insert of the bar, but only on one end? anyone seen one for sale last two years and have any idea of the current prices?  I'm a little leary of salt projectiles since I don't preserve myself

alwion

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 08:11:34 AM »
This ones supposed to have been found in virginia

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 09:42:44 AM »
Ones like the small one you show are probably worth $500-600.  In better condition or larger like the other one that dealer has are worth much more. 

Carl, Jim & I have a few we can post up time and interest permitting, but all are well pre-Civil War.

There is a double barrelled Confederate cannon that fired a chain shot, but it didn't work so well:

http://www.exploresouthernhistory.com/athenscannon.html

alwion

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »
That cannon is awesome looking. never even heard of one,similar do an early ducks foot pistol. but my 1st thought was the problem they actually had with simultanious firing, just can't see how that would even work today perfectly. everything would have to be made and measured accurate every time you fired. its amazing how many ideas people had for extending the damage of a single shot IE cannister/grape, Chain, shaler bullets, buck and ball.  Any other unique experiments anyone know about?

btw Thanks mike for the info, the flaking worries me alot, looks like salt damage that needs electrolisis, which I'm not set up to do. I just like unique examples of different ideas.  alan

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »
Here is the sum total of my Rev War collection except I also have a musket ball PIA gave me someplace else.

12pdr ball with broad arrow mark (and "bellybutton" vent sprue hidden)
Chain shot
Bar shot
Star shot

Stuff in the background is Civil War.

There are a few folks with awesome collections of Rev War projectiles.  It happens that two of the three I can think of are members here (& I am by no means in the top 100) but it is a coincidence.  I like the cool experimentation that went on which is why I have the few pieces I have.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 08:44:17 AM »
THANKs!!!! very cool. I had seen that style chain somewhere and was facinated by it. I'm sure they are way out of my budget, and never dreamed anyone could actually own one anyway, thought they were all in a museum. Do all collectors eventually become dealers ?  lol  gotta support that addiction, i'm selling stuff too, to buy more stuff. anyway back to topic. The cahin and bar are self explanitory, but can you give us some info on the Star shot, I ( and sure others, well at least i hope I'm not the only one) don't get what it is and how it worked? appears segmented?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 09:12:01 AM »
Here is a picture of the star shot apart.  Twine held the sections together and they separated when shot.  Dean Thomas had some reproductions made up which he has for sale if you contact his office at Thomas Publications.

In my case I have chosen to sell some duplicates off because I have found a really good way to build my own collection is to buy other collections people spent a long time developing.  With those come some keepers (so I can pay more and folks like selling their collections into other collections) but also some pieces I already have (which if it comes up I make clear I am not going to keep).  Also, I go to some shows as a collector, but sometimes you see a smoking hot deal that can pay for some of your trip expenses if you flip it.  I only set up with a sales table at a local show to support it and one other run by a friend to both support it and also get in during set-up hours which, unlike most shows, he doesn't allow people to pay extra to do.  I do not liked being tied behind a table or sitting there all day Sunday bored out of my mind usually.

I do not advise anyone to do this for money...although some do effectively but generally not in projectiles only.  I would find it better paying to work the same hours at 7-11, but not as rewarding extrinsically by any means.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 05:48:15 PM »
I can see alot of problems firing that star round. did it have any sabot to push it out so it would fire consistent? I was an antique dealer for 10 years almost full time, and dabbled ever since. Anyone that thinks you don't earn every dime, (and I do think its dime per hour) needs to try it once. Shows bored me to tears. The bonus is I have a house full off nice old stuff. I'm just getting to the weed it out stage  lol

alwion

• Email
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 05:42:29 PM »
is this a cross between a star shot and a bar shot?