Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: I am complete, at least in one respect...  (Read 12151 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
I am complete, at least in one respect...
« on: August 31, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »
The carriage for my cannon was delivered today!  We put the barrel on it and here it is:

R. J. in LA

Re: I am complete, at least in one respect...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 05:39:02 PM »
Wow Mike, what a way to begin a holiday weekend!!!  That piece is beautiful, congrats on a fine specimen!!

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 05:44:05 PM »
Who ever built that carriage did a fine job!

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
My new baby
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 06:53:33 PM »
I had it made by Tom Bailey's Historical Ordnance works.  My research suggested he does outstanding work.  It was a pleasure working with him.

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 07:16:26 PM »
Mike
Congrats!
I want one. :'(
Dan

Lt12pdr

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 07:22:16 PM »
Tom does excellent work,and it does not leave his shop unless it's right.Now,where are the implements.

Jine

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 07:33:34 PM »
Beautiful, emike123. That would be the centerpiece of my living room, if I had a living room large enough for it; there would be no room for arguing from the rest of the household!

Congratulations for possessing something so fine. Since I'm fairly new around here and may have missed any previous discussion, what is the story of the tube?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:37:51 AM by Jine »
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
My baby
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 08:43:40 PM »
Michael, I shot that picture a couple minutes after the barrel was mounted on the carriage.  I have all the implements except a tar bucket, but it is the easiest piece to get.  I have an original water bucket and worm head on a new pole.  I'll pick up a period tar bucket somewhere.

The tube is an iron Noble Brothers rifled 3inch gun.  It is dated March 1862 and was made in Rome, Georgia.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »
Nice!
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 11:25:21 PM »
Mike,

A beautiful piece no doubt.  You are always welcome to store it in my great room if you'd like.  I'll keep it cleaned and polished and the weels greased.   Bev will just have to understand it's a man thing!  Remember it will be much happier to be back home in Georgia.   ;D
Best,
Carl

ETEX

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 04:33:39 AM »
Mike, that is a fantastic carriage to go with a superb tube you had. Your boy cave is bound to be getting full with the addition of this new toy. Congrats it looks great all in one piece.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 08:31:36 AM »
     beautiful Mike !!          Maybe you need to move to Georgia now

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 11:17:36 AM »
That really is something special, Mike. Do you plan to fire it?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Fire! Fire?
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 12:28:50 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for the compliment.  Its been a labor of love, with emphasis on both the words labor and love!

Lt12pdr wants me to fire it, but everyone else who is knowledgeable that I have spoken to says not to.  I am not a reenactor so that pressure is not there, and the couple artillery reenactors I have spoken to are among the ones saying I shouldn't.  I am not really that tempted, and if I did fire it ever, it would not be with anything approaching a full load due to concerns it might not survive real firing.

I have another carriage, but it needs some TLC.  If it gets "conserved" and I do not sell it at my cost, I may keep it and someday use that one for a fire-able gun.

The rifling on this Noble Brothers tube is good so it must not have seen extensive use.  As you may recall, it had three rounds jammed down the tube which were removed in the 1980s.  Yesterday, Tom Bailey confirmed this was a form of disabling the cannon.  Fortunately, the cascabel was not knocked off which was another thing done often when disabling guns.  If, or when, it did fall into Yankee hands, I suppose they felt it wasn't worth rendering operable again considering the Union forces had plenty of Ordnance and Parrott rifles and almost certainly considered them to be superior.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:36:33 PM by emike123 »

Lt12pdr

• Email
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »
Mike,
3oz.cannon grade,a extremely light load or at least pop a primer in it. :)