Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: C. S. Archer Safety Pin Fuze with adapter  (Read 12293 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: C. S. Archer Safety Pin Fuze with adapter
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
Thanks Bill,
    Can you send me the bushing diameter and TPI measurements.  No one is reading my requests.
nice fuses, is the striker still present? or frozen inside?
Best Regards,
John

Selma Hunter

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 07:39:57 AM »
Bart -

Sorry to be so slow getting back to you.  I had to retrieve the box from outgoing mail and open it to get these numbers.

The threaded body of the Fuze Stock has an OD of .835". The Bushing OD was 1,319" and the ID was .822 - .824".  The wall thickness on the Bushing was approximately .2515".

Fuze stock TPI and Bushing inside TPI was approximately 18 tpi.  Outside TPI on the Bushing was approximately 13 tpi.  Neither "fit" was an exact # but each was a "best fit".  I used a highest-quality Starrett TP gauge.

OA length of the Fuze Stock is 2.762" and the length of the Stock below the shoulder at the "Head" is 1.976".  The safety pin holes are drilled .2385" below the head.  The un-threaded tapered "runout" at the bottom of the Stock measured .522".  The full length square cut spanner slots were .240" wide and .1735" deep.  The height of the head from bottom of shoulder to beginning of radius or "crown" was .522".  Diameter at the top of the "head" was .93".

The Fuze without the Bushing weighed 7.108 oz.  The Bushing weighed 3.085 oz.  As I look over my notes I realize that I did not record the width of the slot on the head, but it would have been in the .125-.150" range at a minimum.  It was no where near the .240" width of the spanner slots

The slider is obviously present although it does not move when shaken.  The threads on the inside of the Fuze Stock are pressure "peened" over the threads on the keeper/flash distributor and I do not have a spanner that fits it - ergo I'm not going to bugger it up just to measure it.

I hope this answers the questions. 

Cheers,

Cuz'in Bill

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 11:20:34 AM »
Thank you Bill, you are so thorough.
Kind Regards,
Bart

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »
Bill,
   Thank you for the kind words of appreciation. And thanks for the added images. A 45 degree shot of the fuze would have shown top and threads together. I am starting to render fuzes in their angled vertical view and then rotate them about 80 degrees  to the right after completion,,  which smooths out the color to form a better hue.
Regards,
John