Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: More Fake Cartridges on EFAKE  (Read 4614 times)

acwbullets

• Email
More Fake Cartridges on EFAKE
« on: May 20, 2015, 11:06:26 AM »
Keep an eye out. It appears the new ones are coming out of Rossville, GA.

Roy A

• Email
Re: More Fake Cartridges on EFAKE
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 12:50:33 PM »
Is that the same guy who listed one of the whitworth's supposedly out of Dean's book?

None of his stuff looked right to me, even that one I suspected as being made up.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 02:57:09 PM »
Ian,

I have to say that the Rossville stuff looks OK.  A few are definitely from Dean's collection (take note of catalogue numbers on cartridge).  Also the one with the green funk on it came from a collection that the Horse Soldier had for sale a short while ago...I remember that green crud on the paper cartridges.

JT

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:05:20 PM »
Now, having said the above......  I've looked thru his "sold" listings.  A few of the CS Gardner cartridges look like those from the guy in Strawberry Plains.   This is what I feared, that once the TN guy's fakes get dispersed into other dealer's inventory, they will be harder to notice.

Roy A

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 04:05:12 PM »
Now, having said the above......  I've looked thru his "sold" listings.  A few of the CS Gardner cartridges look like those from the guy in Strawberry Plains.   This is what I feared, that once the TN guy's fakes get dispersed into other dealer's inventory, they will be harder to notice.

I agree on the Gardner's looking like the strawberry plains stuff. The Whitworth looked like Dean's but maybe it was the camera angle or whatever but I felt maybe not. I did notice the horse soldier green inked ones as well so maybe this guy just got a few bad pieces mixed in, sucks...

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 04:42:47 PM »
There are way too many bad reproductions out there on the market that aren't marked. It's becoming increasingly hard to tell unless you know what you are looking at. It's almost as though one would have to hold a cartridge under a blacklight to have a sense of security. In the end...that doesn't always work.