Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 6# Selma Case Shot  (Read 2620 times)

Dave

• Email
6# Selma Case Shot
« on: April 15, 2023, 09:31:01 AM »
I've acquired a 6# case shot that was recovered from the Alabama river at Selma in 1974.  As you can see from the pics, it does have some loss on the outside from its time under water.  The outside is also coated and has a distinct mold seam.  My question is about the inside.  It is untreated and contains 10-12 case shot still in the original matrix (with the exception of two case shot that are loose).  Should I leave the inside alone or what do you suggest?  Wax?  Gemplers?  Something else?  Also, what would the approximate value be?  I would also like to acquire an appropriate Bormann fuse if someone has one for a good price.
God Bless, Roll Tide & Deo Vindice

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: 6# Selma Case Shot
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 10:24:27 PM »
Sorry but somehow missed this posting and am just now seeing it.  Coincidentally I just acquired a 6-lber Bormann case shot also recovered out of the river in Selma I'll be taking to Mansfield this coming weekend.  Unlike yours, the balls are loose in the shell without matrix though this one still has the fuse present in pretty good condition.  From the nice clear pics you posted your shell looks like it also didn't have matrix but concreted dirt is what is holding the balls in place.

Regarding the possibility of coating the inside of the shell there is not much you need to do especially since your case shot is not loose.  The freshwater doesn't cause much issue once it is dried out and kept in a good climate.   I think Gemplers would make the inside very dark and harder to see the balls, etc.  If you wanted to do something I'd recommend a clear coat of the inside and outside.  But before doing that use a light bristled wire brush to clean the outer surface and fuse hole1 then use compressed air to blow away all the dust inside and out.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 10:29:27 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

Dave

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 09:15:05 AM »
Carl, thank you so much for your reply. I?d love to see your shell if you have any pics you could post. I wanted to attend that show particularly since I live in the WV northern panhandle but my daughter is graduating from college so that comes first. Not that I want to sell but do you have a ballpark figure of what my shell would be worth?  I got what I thought was a good buy. I?d also love to find a Bormann fuse just to keep with it. Thanks again.
God Bless, Roll Tide & Deo Vindice

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 10:51:10 AM »
I listed a dug CS Bormann fuse yesterday on the commercial site.