Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Need help identifying history / pricing / preserving - large canon ball  (Read 16110 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Pete:

I think your nice way of saying that my guesstimate of value was too high for this Dahlgren ball proved true. In this case the market has spoken as that second, fairly nice, eBay one didn't sell at $250 all in with shipping.  The starting price doesn't mean much but after all the eyeballs on it, the ending price on such a well viewed website does.  I am a little surprised, but these big balls are a pain in the neck to handle and ship so maybe not.   The first eBay one was not comparable to me as it looked like a meteor, but the 2nd eBay was pretty nice and only had one had an area of flaking.  But Huntre's has the minorly offputting to some welding sprues so probably they are very comparable.  By the way, I admitted not really knowing prices for these types as I find roundballs over a certain size to be a bit monotonous and too heavy to deal with much, but I would've been happy to have had other values thrown out by others like Pete who know better.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
Wagstaff's.......... Ah, now this thread has my interest!

:P

dlw1610

• Email
Living in Petersburg, know the Swift Creek area well & Wagstaff's is definitely a great place to dine.  Hope to meet some of you folks in August.

David

Pete George

• Email
Emike123 wrote:
> I think your nice way of saying that my guesstimate of value was too high for this Dahlgren ball proved true.

I'm glad to hear you perceived that I was trying to say it gently/nicely.  I posted the two Ebay links so that forum-members could follow the bidding and see the end-result.

I expected the rough-condition one to get no bids. As you mentioned, the nice-condition one also got no bids at all, even with an asking price of $175 plus $75 shipping.  That tells us what we need to know about the current market-value of NON-RARE heavy-caliber cannonballs.

Regards,
Pete

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
I have always liked the 9 inch Dahlgren. Something masculine and business-like about it.

If I could get 5 good ones at a good price, it would make 6, and a nice stack.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
You can make a stack of 4 or a bigger stack of 10.  eBay seller says he has 2 and Huntre has 1.  Get em all -- negotiate a good deal and you have a stack of 3 on bottom and 1 on top!

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
In my stack, there are 5 on the bottom and one on top. :)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
This clip somehow to me seems appropriate at this point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trkoj933Mfg

I know you to have expensive taste, but hope it is only your tendency to excess that is driving you to overcompensate with an extra pair for the base.  Hopefully, it is not some pentagram Satanic / false idolatry thing going on.

Me, I believe in the Trinity and go for the (cheaper) 3-sided, triangular faced pyramid!

PS:  Did you get the eMail I sent you last night, Beelzebub?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:24:26 AM by emike123 »

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
You are right that I am not setting up a Satanic Civil War Projectile club, not yet.

Got your email, will answer directly.