Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Any idea what this ball is?  (Read 6076 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: Any idea what this ball is?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 06:39:42 AM »
 it's crunchy, can't tell.                   Gotta say, Atlanta is a wild place, did you see the news headlines in the lower left column ??!! I know where I'm not hanging out !!   Cops shooting room mates, kids molesting each other, whipping genitals, etc etc      Ouch !!   Yipes !!   Runnnnnnn.......

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:51:25 AM »
Scott and David,
    I emailed the reporter if she had any dimensions and sent the URL to Jack Melton.
Stay with the cannonball David.;)
Cheers,
John

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
Yes, Dave, we have our share of nutcases down here in Atlanta. I thought someone might recognize the odd fuze hole, if that is what it is.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 01:03:38 PM »
Looks like a dirty Death Star.

Well, with the crappy image and only a cardboard box to make a size comparison to, I'd say it's a borman fuzed 12 pdr.  The area that it was found in is near downtown isn't it?

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 10:21:28 PM »
Hello,

I alos believe it to be a Bormann fused shell either flattened by impact or filled with crud.  Too bad they blew it up. 

Interesting they turned it over to the Air Force as still being government property.  I wonder if they consider all such left over relics to be?

That area is right next to Olympic Park, World of Coca Cole, Atlanta Aquarium, etc. which is where I believe some of the CS lines were.  Philips Arena and the World Congress Center are just a couple blocks away.  The place has a 12 foot tall fence around it and you could never sneak in to rescue anything.
Best,
Carl

Selma Hunter

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 06:41:22 AM »
All -

It made the Sunday Morning media!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/20/civil-war-cannonball-found_n_3628521.html

What a bunch of wankers!

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 08:30:29 AM »
Carl we never publicly say sneak. Or night.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 04:43:30 AM »
Sorry, I meant accidentally wonder though a gate someone forgot to close.   ;D
Best,
Carl

Aquachigger

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 01:22:51 PM »
Looks like a side loader plug to me.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 12:14:08 AM »
I believe you may be onto something there.
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 12:53:47 PM »
  The lack of precise measurements of the ball's weight and diameter limit us to logic-based speculation on what can be seen in the photo, and comparison with cannonball types known to have been found in the Atlanta Campaign.

About the guesses that it is a Bormann-fuzed roundshell:
  A Bormann fuze is approximately 1.6-inches in diameter. Study the size of the plugged hole in the Atlanta ball and compare it with the ball's width. If that is a 1.6"-wide hole, the ball would have to be at least a 32-Pounder (6.4"-caliber) ball.  The only 32-pounder roundshells ever found at Atlanta were wooden-fuzed... which had a smaller fuzehole than a Bormann. For those reasons, I believe it is not a Bormann-fuzed roundshell.

The plugged hole does resemble a Sideloader Case-Shot's lead sideplug. However, that type of cannonball was EXTRAORDINARILY rare in the Atlanta Campaign. (I know of only two Atlanta Campaign Sideloaders, out of the many thousands of cannanballs which have been found there.) So, the statistical odds weigh enormously against this ball being a Sideloader Case-Shot.

Also, a Sideloader Case-Shot's copper fuzeplug (or, its empty fuzehole) should be visible if this ball is a Sideloader.  Logic suggests that if this ball has a fuzehole AND a lead-filled sideplug hole, the photographer would have shown both of them.   But only a plugged hole is shown.

At this point, having only the single photo and no size-&-weight measurements, I lean toward this ball not being not a cannonball.  The Atlanta History Center's Gordon Jones has been mentioned as being aware of this ball. I hope one of this forum's Atlanta-area members who knows Mr. Jones personally will contact him and urge him to get precise weight and diameter measurements of this ball... which will reveal whether it is or isn't a cannonball.

Regards,
Pete

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 08:11:17 AM »
Maybe it is a shot put left over from the 1996 Summer Olympics?    ;D    8)

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 12:18:27 PM »
  I see that the original (July 18) cbsatlanta.com article has been updated, saying that an Army EOD team "disrupted" the ball before it was turned over to the Air Force.  That is a different term than "destroyed," and may have a different meaning.  I'd very much like to see photos of the result... which will tell us whether or not it was an explosive cannonball.

If photos of the "disrupted" ball show typical roundshell fragments, measuring the shellwall thickness will tell us the ball's caliber.

Bart, did you get any response from your emails to the news-reporter and Mr. Melton?

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 03:14:37 PM »
Pete,
  No, I really didn't expect anything from the reporter.  I believe Jack is on the road photographing for his new book.
Cheers,
John