Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Here we go again!  (Read 8765 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Here we go again!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 08:17:37 PM »
A co worker just texted me that at least in his neck of the woods, reason can (sometimes) prevail:

http://www.wtae.com/article/cannonballs-found-at-old-civil-war-arsenal-in-pittsburgh/9192285

Bully for them!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 05:20:45 PM »
Wow, some common sense!  Good to hear.  Gives me hope!

One of our forumites lives quite close and I'm sure is down there trying to see what he can find a home for.  Interesting to find out if there are any markings on them as it would tell us for sure what marks that arsenal used.  They look like 10-inch balls to me.

They made a lot of cannon there too.  Maybe if they keep digging they'll find some tubes!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 05:22:11 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 09:41:37 PM »
I went to the Petersburg siege museum several years ago.  Nice little museum really.  It's mainly about the civilian population during the siege, but there are plenty of military artifacts there.  They had a rather large caliber artillery shell sitting on a shelf.  The wooden floor beneath it had a huge crater in it where the shell had rolled off the shelf many years ago.  Made one hell of a dent in the old tongue and groove floor.  They were also rather proud about a short film staring the famous old time actor Joseph Cotton about the siege.  Apparently he was a native son of Petersburg. Sorry to hear they have turn stupid.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:42:54 PM by pipedreamer65 »

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 07:25:19 PM »
   This is in reference to Mike' march 27th post.
 I went own to Allegheny arsenal site today to nose around.  The shells/case shot are still there with a fence around them and a 24 hour bomb squad cop on duty.  They had a tarp covering them so you could not see much.  The bomb squad guy told me that there are about 50 6lb and 12lb Bormann fused rounds.  He showed me a picture he had taken showing a 6lb and a 12lb.  Sorry to say, both were scuffed in the area where the script A would be, if they had a script A.  There is no way he was going to let me inspect them.  I even offered to watch them so he could get a coffee.  It' didn't work.   :'(
     They are really not sure what they are going to do with them.  The company that owns the construction site is contacting some company from The Peoples Republic of Maryland to remove them.  The bomb squad guy said that they could also do the job.  He said that they would use what he called a "penetrater" to pop a hole in them under high pressure.  This usually shatters it into pieces.
     The Hienze History Center and the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall both what them, so there may be some hope.  Trouble is, they might get them in pieces.
I'll keep you guys advised.
take care
Dan

gandycreek

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2017, 01:20:04 PM »
Too bad the Museum couldn't give this guy a heads up to get this Parrott shell disarmed.
http://civil-war-picket.blogspot.com/2017/08/man-donated-civil-war-artifacts-to.html