Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Holy Grail 6 Pounder  (Read 8473 times)

John M. Brooke

Holy Grail 6 Pounder
« on: May 19, 2013, 06:26:16 PM »

Recently recovered 6 pounder from Blackbeard's flagship Queen Anne's Revenge in a museum on Hatteras Island North Carolina. The ship ran aground in 1718 near Beaufort Inlet, North Carolina.

Also on display was this mortar, does anyone know what type it is? It did not say in the display description.

Jim J.

Re: Holy Grail 6 Pounder
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 12:58:01 PM »
The mortar is a early 4" bronze mortar, that were often fitted to a simple plank of wood - Oak 20" long, 10" wide x 4" deep.  The tube was set at a 45 degree angle, and the range altered by changing the amount of propellant charge.  Sometimes they simply changed the angle of the wood base, to change the range a short distance.  Baron Menno van Coehorn (Dutch) designed and built the first wrought iron ones, used at the Siege of Grave (1674).  The first English bronze ones were in the Tower inventories (London) by 1713.  This one came off a 1718 wreck, an early model to say the least.
Jim J.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »
   actually, I am pretty sure that mortar is a mid to late 1800's Manby mortar that was used as a line throwing rescue gun.  I have a few of the line throwing cannons and their projectiles in my collection, I have read up on them some.   Early, neat and rare piece

Jim J.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:12:51 PM »
Good call there Dave, on the Manby mortar.  I did a fast search on a Manby mortar, and the images are the same, the base is a good ID pointer.  When I read the posting, I made a bad assumption and thought that that the mortar came from the QAR wreck site as well.  I was talking to the folks up there recently, and the wreck does have a 4" brass / bronze mortar, that is one of the early models that was out on display recently.   

John M. Brooke

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »
Thanks for the info on the Mortar, if you get to Hatteras Island this museum is a must see. It also has some Monitor relics as well. Don't forget to make a donation in the box up front.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 07:10:44 AM »
    also, you need to put the Mariners Museum in Hampton Virginia on your 'to do' list.  Obviously, the USS Monitor is the highlight of the museum. Pretty amazing to see the turret and 11 inch guns sitting there.        After years of looking at all the old pictures in books, growing up with these photo's helping to spur on our love for the civil war and artillery,  there - are the dents where the shells struck it during the battle, just like in the black and white photo's ingrained in out heads . Plus all the other artifacts from her. And, they have a full size replica outside of the entire ship you can walk on.        Plan on spending some time there........     plenty of other artillery and interesting things at the museum too.    Two thumbs up !!