Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Is this a Cosmopolitian?  (Read 11814 times)

misipirelichtr

• Email
Is this a Cosmopolitian?
« on: April 20, 2012, 11:42:55 PM »
This bullet was recovered in Louisiana, and I always wondered what it was.  Several years ago Tom Stelma proclaimed it a "Cosmopolitian", and it does in fact have some resemblance to on pictured in his second bullet book.  But I think it is a bit large for a Cosmo.  It measures 1.002 x .544, and has what I believe would have been a plug cavity (the cavity is deformed due to an air bubble in the casting process).  I'm counting on some of you Trans-Mississippi guys to nail this one for me!

ETEX

Re: Is this a Cosmopolitian?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:10:07 PM »
Wes, I was looking at the bullet when you responded.

Misipirelichtr, I would say this is not a Cosmo Type II. I don't have a clue right now what the bullet is but I am going to start digging and checking other resources for the bullet you have photographed.

Skip and R.L. I would like your thoughts on the bullet. You two have an enormous amount of knowledge on the Cosmo Type II.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 04:06:04 PM »
pic of the base please

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »
Here you go Jim.  The skirt is thick as you can see in the photo, but the end of the cavity appears to have had an air bubble when cast.  My best guess from what is there is it had a plug base, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it

Bill Ewing

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 07:33:32 AM »
Just my opinion - it looks like a sharps carbine bullet with an air bubble cavity that could have been one of several cavity types.

Bill

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »
I'm with Bill....perhaps add "carved" into the conversation.

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 06:25:14 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts on this bullet.  I do agree its not a Cosmopolitan II, but if it had the characteristic flat nose of the Cosmo, it is a dead ringer for one of those pictured in Tom Stelma's book.  Tom mulled over this bullet for about a half hour, took a bunch of photos of it, and after about a week, called to tell me he concluded it was more like a Cosmopolitan than anything else he could find.  I tried to take a better photo of the cavity - it is attached.  The base is not carved - I am certain of that.  The air cavity makes it difficult to tell what type base cavity it has, but it is a very deep plug or very deep slight conical cavity.  I studied every Sharps I have pictured in all the bullet reference books - and the base simply does not come close to any of them.  The next time I have the opportunity to be with fellow leadheads, I'll bring it along

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 06:40:35 PM »
You forced me to dig into my closet and unearth copy #1C of Some Bullets II with a nice handwritten note from Tom that made me smile.

There is one bullet in the section that is also bigger (> 0.52), different and doesn't have a cavity shot.  The rest of the Cosmo Type IIs shown have a very, very different cavity (thin walled and often flashing in them) from yours, Jimmy, and are < 0.52 in diameter.  I remember after he published the book, Tom had second thoughts about the odd one out.

Stelma 08-059 is by far the nicest of the ones shown, wouldn't you agree guys?

ETEX

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 06:46:10 PM »
Wow, I thought 08-059 was the odd one out. :o

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 06:53:57 PM »
Yes, because it is the most gorgeous.  Too bad there are no "Fincher Collection" bullets on the CD to compare it with!

ETEX

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »
Touche, and speaking of Tom's books and CD's. I was looking at some of the bullets I have and found TS 04-042 MM-551. Tom gave me this Buck and Ball set several years ago. I just made room in one of the displays and put it next to another fused Buck and Ball that came from Chancellorsville.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 07:08:59 PM »
Thanks to the unspeakable kindness of a forum-ite, I think you have a rare one from the Sharps section too.  You and your two published bullets are almost famous ;-)

ETEX

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 07:16:39 PM »
Let me try this again to see if this is the easy come easy go Sharps you are talking about.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 07:26:13 PM »
Well if your disparaging words about a certain Cosmo type II weren't enough, this will definitely get somebody's panties in a knot.

R.L. Bryant

• Email
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 10:43:35 PM »
I would say this one is definitely NOT a Cosmo-II.  The cavity and skirting are all wrong.  Does look like a plug base, but I'm not sure what it is.  Looks a bit whittled or carved on at the base also.  I believe Stelma 08-059 in Mike Ward's collection was originally found by Bill Carter at Prairie Grove, and sold by us on eBay a few years back.  That one is as good as they get, a real beauty.