Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: They just keep coming...  (Read 7476 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
They just keep coming...
« on: May 11, 2013, 11:12:53 PM »
Here's another one of these bolts with the four slots in the bottom.  The one on the left is our old 3.3" friend but the one on the right measures 3.68" diameter at the bourrelet so presumably for a James pattern gun.  Both sides made distinctive ammo for those too.

I don't think this one is in the books, but folks please correct me if someone can find it.

John, are you going to have to add another column to your list of Dyer diameters or should this go by another name?  Sorry if this keeps you up worrying  ;)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: They just keep coming...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 07:19:42 AM »
      What me worry? I may become amazed at the different sizes and perhaps when made.  However, for rifled ACW projectiles I was taught to identify by the sabot's inventor or the person's name who received a patent for its particular design. Not who made it, its diameter, length, weight, where it was found, with a couple exceptions, nor who fired it or what gun shot it. 
If we, as historians and authors, do not stay with the original method of identification, then we destroy the known system of identification.
   That is not to say the variety of manufacturers do not cause minor changes in the configuration of shells, shot and case shot.
    I have no explaination for the appearance of these bastard sizes.  It's like a miss struck penny, its odd, its rare and worth more, but it is still a penny.
  That being said. if we can produce documented evidence that a new and different pattern, inventor or patent has been discovered, then we need to arrive at an accepted and additional sabot for its type and name. -30-

Cheers,
John

Good morning,
John
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:10:22 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 08:21:20 AM »
Just teasing you, JBB.  This new apparition must not have kept you up late, because your early morning comment above makes a lot of sense.

Now, I wonder if that bottom lathe dimple on the left one means anything....

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:43:22 AM »
 :) Mike I actually viewed your new and fantastic projectile this morning.  With regard to the dead center lathe countersink drill mark, it  is a common lathe application used by any lathe operator, regardless of orgin or country. Even I used it in high school machine shop.
I don't believe it was singularly used by the south.
Regards,
John
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:49:56 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 09:24:16 AM »
OK, well I don't recall seeing the lathe dimple on projectiles known to have come out of Parrott's WPF, and whether that particular 3.3" bolt was made there was one of the things we were trying to figure out on another thread.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 09:41:02 AM »
Mike,
  The question might be - what determines the need for a projectile to be chucked in a lathe?  Castings that are made from a finely made wooden pattern, cast in very fine casting sand with metal heated properly with few impurities normally will produce a projectile not requireing the need for a turned finish. To reduce the additional steps and time to finish a projectile to proper bore diameter, the presence of forward and rear bearing bands that require only the bands to be finished to lands diameter, appears largely in C.S. manufacturing.
My opinion,
Regards,
John

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 07:57:59 PM »
looks like I see lathe marks on the shell on the right.........