Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: What?  (Read 8321 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: What?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 12:41:40 AM »
Hello,

Yes, it's a little bit confusing if you aren't familiar with the area.  The shell is a 12 lber Bormann with acutally weights about 8 pounds if a common shell (and 11 if a case shot).  The 12 pounder designation is for a solid shot.  The 24 gun battery is a battery of 24 guns located outside Marietta, GA that fired on Big Kennesaw Mountain, Little Kennesaw Mountain, and principly the saddle ridge betweent the two.  It was a mixture of smooth bores and rifled cannon.  A great many shells have been found behind the mountains over the years and recently with a subdivision developed in the main impact area a good many more were found.  My son found his first shell, a 3-inch Hotchkiss, there.  The gun emplacements are on Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park and are still in pretty good condition and make for a nice walk for the artillery lover.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 06:05:36 AM »
Thanks. I knew about the weights, I was trying to be funny.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 07:34:03 AM »
It looks like the Bormann is about to be disgorged . 
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 11:36:25 AM »
Speedenforcer:  Had just got home from being out with some friends and didn't notice your humor faces!

John:  I think it must actually be lose in the shell as the seller says "digger found the fuse which which broke off shell on impact which displays nicely".  That sounds to me like it was loose in the hole or nearby.  Odd that he doesn't show a picture of it out of the shell although it may have been glued back in.
Best,
Carl

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 03:37:21 PM »
Same guy has a repaired va button but makes no mention of the repair.