Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Modern Era Projectiles - Depleted Uranium  (Read 5305 times)

alwion

• Email
Modern Era Projectiles - Depleted Uranium
« on: November 07, 2011, 08:09:02 AM »
i'm not sure if this belongs here or in general section. feel free to remove if unacceptable. Has anyone looked at or studied the current depleted urainium projectiles? I'm amazed that a 1' rod 12-24" long can weigh so much . at projectile speed, nothing can stop it because of its mass. and after firing, its radioactive again. I'm facinated and horrified at the same time.Didn't untill recently even know such a thing existed. even saw one for sale a few week back online. definitly NOT a collectable
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:44:02 AM by CWArtillery »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Modern Era Projectiles - Depleted Uranium
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 08:55:21 AM »
Other than some snippits on the new mentioning them, I didn't really know anything about them.  So I looked up some info:
      http://www.epa.gov/radtown/depleted-uranium.html
Now this is a government web page so I take the data knowing that but it does provide a good short overview of what it is, how it's used and the effects.  It's hard to believe to me that radioactive shrapnel has no exposure effect on someone but could well be.

Regarding your question about this being on topic or where it belongs, as moderator my thoughts are:
1) We are a group of mostly pre-1900 collectors.  Some also collect in the two WW's.
2) We do occasionally drift off in various areas which is fine but it shouldn't take over the forum.
3) Any topics which do not get any response I'll delete after a few weeks since no reply means there was no discussion.
4) As this is topic regarding an artillery projectile then the 'Artillery' section is appropriate.

Thanks for posting!
Best,
Carl

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:11:35 PM »
I don't know much about the DU rounds but I would think they would be better than tungsten which is more commonly used by the armored divisions.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 01:08:13 PM »
I didn't know that depleted uranium was open to the civilian market, or did I read your post wrong.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 01:36:26 PM »
Strictly military, Jay.  Anti-tank rounds.

I found the italiczed part (last 5 words) of the EPA write-up below in Carl's link "odd":

During the war, approximately 20 U.S. soldiers were hit with DU fragments that became permanently embedded in their bodies. To date, studies have shown that these soldiers have not experienced health problems related to DU. The soldiers’ children, who were born after the war, have not shown any DU related health problems either, such as birth or developmental defects. However, the amount of data is very small and additional studies are continuing.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 04:08:57 PM »
1. the government says they are safe, and as cast they show very little radiation
2.every other government In the world is complaining about the usage. because..
3. I watched a video on these. the projectile was inert as cast, they fired it at a tank, it easily penetrated the armor, showing flames around the penetration, a hole about 3" in diameter, with burnt areas around it. the fella them took the same geiger counter to the hole, and it went crazy. the heat and friction reactivate the "dust" that scraped off as it went through. guess they also make individual rounds for armor penetration for rifles, but too expensive normally. what a great way to get rid of radioactive waste, shoot it at someone else

I have no idea how one ended up online for sale, but the shape is definitive, and his 1" rod 12" long weighed over 80 lbs. anyway won't post on this again, because thats all I know:). Just one of those things I hope future collectors won't be bringing home

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:15:07 PM »
Carl,
   Back to ACW topics.  you mentioed that if a post got 0 replies then you would remove it from the Forum.
A lot of my drawings get 0 replies but I post them for historical reference. Does the 0 reply rule still apply?
Regards,
John aka Bart

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 08:32:33 PM »
No.  Great artwork is exempt from that.  And it's more of guideline than a rule.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 10:58:28 PM »
wish I had one of them 1" x 12" rods. could make a lot of bullets with it. :o ok ok i will quit now, just couldnt resist. go ahead and delete moderator.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.