Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Receiving end of artillery  (Read 6171 times)

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
Receiving end of artillery
« on: September 07, 2011, 10:36:44 AM »
Never thought I would be on the receiving end of artillery, but on my first night in Baghdad, a couple of mortar rounds fell a few hundred yards away in the International Zone at around 2:30 a.m. These are inaccurate pipe mortars fired sometimes from the back of a donkey - more worrisome are the sighted mortars smuggled in from Iran. Last night was the random kind - no news of damage, and apparently they usually cause little damage since they just fired into the dark in the direction of the US Embassy. It is lots more fun to collect projectiles than to hear them unfriendly ones explode. 

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Receiving end of artillery
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »
Best wishes to you and everyone over there that peace is found there soon.  While history shows it never will, my heart does goes out to all the US Military and civilians that have to live in such an environment that you have to worry every minute if a mortar is going to fall on you or if some hidden bomb is about to explode.  It's a horrible way to live.  Keep your guard up and come home soon!
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 08:57:28 PM »
     keep your head down, damnit !!      What are you doing in Bagdad anyway ??   Buying rugs ??             Take care,      David

Jack Wells

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 06:09:29 AM »
Keep your head as well as other areas down,stay safe, and may the Almighty be with you.For those  who have been there, it's a sound,and experence  you will never forget.
Jack
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. U.S.A. Ret.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:41:03 PM »
Scott:

Rough couple weeks.  First some nutjob chases you with an axe in Georgia and now this.  May I recommend staying away from Syria, North Korea or the Bikini Atoll?

I hope you get over your mid life thrill seeking crisis soon and can get back to being boring like the rest of us.  All the best.

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 01:07:33 PM »
I am working on the economic reconstruction of Iraq at the request of the US government, mostly working with the Prime Ministers office. The day to day life is not that exciting. Foreign experts are trapped in a concrete compound with 72 armed guards around it mostly South African mercenaries but more and more Iraqis.

We are unable to actually see Iraq - we move in steel clad armed convoys, wearing bulletproof vests and flak helmets, and see roads lined with concrete barriers, palm trees, and the insides of secured government buildings. It is like working in a bubble of security surrounded by a real country that is completely invisible. Constant military checkpoints when you are moving. 

We are surrounded by eyes – the bad guys are constantly looking for an opportunity to strike, and so the security is tight and professional. We move unpredictably, changing directions and speeds to prevent ambushes. An expert  was killed a couple of months ago when he visited the same university three times. By the third time, the bad guys had set up an IED along the road and got him. When we leave the compound, we can assume cell phone calls are being made alerting folks ahead of us to be ready if we give them a chance. So we don't visit the same place on any set schedule, we leave meetings earlier than scheduled, we don't make it easy.   

Inside the compound, a couple of hundred foreigners live very simply – cafeteria food, a small but popular bar called the Casbah, and a nice gym. Everyone is very nice and welcoming.

Economic reforms are less visually dramatic, but more important, than mere security problems! 

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 08:16:04 PM »
Scott,

It's good they are providing you with security but at the same time you are missing out on scooping up on all the German and Austrian M16 helmets that are all over the place over there. You can typically pick them up from the kids for a $20.00 bill. Are you near any of the military surplus stores. They typically have a lot of great stuff.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
   hey Scott,    I thought we were gonna be "  welcomed with open arms as liberators " by the people ??   Sounds like you guys are having a tough time of it.  Keep your head down and sit on a flak vest when you ride the short bus to work !!           Take care and come home safe,    David

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 12:32:19 PM »
I think most people want us to stay and enforce order. It is the bad guys who want us out, mostly those financed by Iran. Kidnappings by armed thugs are also way up. Criminals are running amok here. 

alwion

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 04:35:48 PM »
I at one time got involved in a worldwide online game for a few years, made alot of friends. But was informed that the US wasn't very well liked in alot of countries in the world. there view of us was like our way or else, and it annoys alot of people, but there again, you never know what the governments on either side are telling everyone.

Found a civil war letter in the back of a dresser from stone river Tenn. Fella had been talking to the "rebels " acrossed the river, and there story about the war was far different than what he had been told. He felt the war had been misrepresented by the republicans (yes he was specific, not slamming anyone" and they hadn't told the truth or all of the truth. That was 1860's, seems some things never change ;D