Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Collecting Advise  (Read 5580 times)

Alan M

Collecting Advise
« on: March 03, 2015, 01:25:24 PM »
I have just completed my spreadsheet listing each of the 268 bullets I currently own. First I listed them by MM#. Next I used the cross reference in the TT book to list by that number. I removed categories listed as N, -, or F/C if I did not already have bullets that fit those categories. I am now preparing to verify that each of the bullets I own are indeed what they are advertised to be. I guess this is where the sweat and fun begins. So I measure the diameter or average (take readings at several places to ensure accuracy). Determine fired or Carved from observations. Weigh each one in grains. Measure the length. Discern the cavity and compare to the chart in the TT book. Dimension cavity depth, List rings, grooves etc. Then make comparisons to the write-up and photographs. I can also check the database you guys have linked to in this site. Next check for casting features or any unusual thing worth noting. Have I got it all covered or is there more to consider? I want to be thorough, but do this only one time. So is this how it all works or is the avid collector always pouring over his collection reviewing old data? Thanks in advance for the advise.

Dr. Beach

Re: Collecting Advise
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 02:59:28 PM »
Welcome Alan!

Don't forget provenance--where found, if known.

Horace

Alan M

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 05:10:10 PM »
The good grasp comes from organizational skills and reading all of the posts on this site. As I read them I take notes. I intend to verify and then use that information where I can. Your photos and discussions are very helpful. From time to time I find you guys saying something that is foriegn to me, but if I wait a while someone will resond with another discussion that answers the first unknown. You guys are teaching without realizing it. Keep it up! and Thanks

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 07:18:42 PM »
Great analysis Alan.  I collect primarily Confederate bullet therefore can't compare to the number by aggiereb, etex & other leadheads.  I am approaching 350 including cartridges.  It is a real treat to me to document the renaming of previously mis-identified examples.

It is shocking to see some of the rare bullets valued at close to $2,000.

David - Virginia

ETEX

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 11:20:28 AM »
Alan, I keep my collection data on "Bullet File" and I bought the software years ago from Tom Henrique. I have attached a screen shot of the first page that shows all the information on a specific bullet including in the remarks section different reference books' number classification of the bullet, patina, specific dig locations, etc. with five bullets listed per page. The prices you see is what the price guide reflects but that is such an old guide you can't go by those prices as accurate for todays bullets. This page just happens to be for the first display drawer of Confederate bullets I particularly like and have separated them into a drawer of their own. I do collect more than one type of each bullet if they happen to have casting flaws (cold pour) and other unique irregularities or from specific dig locations such as Crumps Hill, Louisiana or Champion Hill Battlefield (my great-great grandfather was taken prisoner at Champion Hill) so bullets from the Georgia line have sentimental value. I have two cabinets of display drawers and I place a typed sheet on each of the drawers listing the inventory number and bullet number and I then have a binder with each page of bullets. This provides a quick way to reference the bullets when I am looking for specific information. I have attached the screen shot of the first page and a so so photo of Drawer 1 so you can see the first five bullets as listed with all the information on the bullet. Each collector has his/her own likes/dislikes and preferences on how to catalogue their collection. My advice is to have as much information on the bullet as possible.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:32:01 AM by ETEX »

ETEX

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 11:33:32 AM »
Pics of the drawer and cabinet.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 12:48:38 PM »
Copycat!  That's how I have my bullets housed as well, ETEX.  Same baker's rack style case unit.

Tom was going to send me a copy of BulletFile when he updated it, but I never got it so I have an Excel spreadsheet and also a Word file.  The Excel spreadsheet lists all the bullets in all the publications and is netted down for duplicates best I can do, and the Word file basically is a key to my display cases and lists type by ref., details on recovery and where acquired for how much.  I have not kept the inventory (Excel) file up because originally it was to keep track of things as I cruised shows, etc and now I pretty much know all the bullets I don't have and still want by heart.  The Word file I have kept up better although the most recent acquisitions are not in it.  I think I have emailed copies of some of these to folks before and happy to for others if anyone drops me a PM with their email address.

Alan M

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 01:15:26 PM »
Great explaination guys. Thanks. To date I have stored my collection in plastic divided containers with a sliding lid. Each bullet is nesteled into a cut foam cushion. Then I have a jewelers label glued onto the foam with an index number. I keep my collection mobile. At reenactments (yes, I'm one of those strange guys) usually on the Friday before Battle I display the collection to reenactors and school kids bused in. I have large poterboards that display cavity types and unusual bullet configurations. I introduce my display as an example of how War (ACW) produces innovation and modernization. I give a 30 minute lecture and pass around some of the more common bullets (for fear they wont come back). How can you learn without touching history. The kids go away with some new appreciation of a small portion of our countrys great history. I also give away common bullets to close friends, when I recognise that they too care about history. Their appreciation in recieveing such a small but important gift shows me the importance of collecting from a preservation standpoint. Pulled bullets are a special favorite of mine because I know that the bullet was not fired in anger.

ETEX

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 02:03:23 PM »
Mike, it would be nice if someone did create a new software but it is very time consuming entering all the data.

Alan, I also collect Enfields by the bunch. Here are two wall displays with only Enfields and that's not counting a couple of drawers of Enfields I have in the collection. I also have felt down so the bullets don't sit directly on the wood to prevent patina damage.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 10:14:57 PM »
Hey Wes, JAE!   ;D

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 07:12:57 PM »
Oh my, you're right.  :o    But you know, if you've met one Texican..............

JAE, JA3R, whatever...............  ;)

ETEX

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 10:16:18 AM »
What JAE, no they are all special and for Texas Jim you just can't stand not having being born in the Lone Star State.  ;D

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 11:35:58 PM »
...but I did go to the Lone Star Brewery once!  :D