Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: WAR OF 1812 BRITISH MARINE BUTTON?  (Read 5963 times)

PIA

WAR OF 1812 BRITISH MARINE BUTTON?
« on: December 02, 2015, 03:15:49 PM »
I'm a CW guy but dug this button on the Georgia coast back about 1971.  It's brass with a bit of gold guilt.  About 15mm.  Crown at the top, wreath around the sides.  Faint letters in the middle appear to be NRM with the number 8 below them.  Any ideas?  Value?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:20:34 PM by PIA »

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
Re: WAR OF 1812 BRITIDH MARINE BUTTON?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 05:03:10 PM »
     It's hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like a British style crown.  I can not locate the NRM in my data base.  Most, if not all Royal Navy and Marine buttons will have some kind of anchor device.  In my opinion the N represents an English county, the R means royal, and the M means militia.  Although many of these volunteer and militia buttons have been identified, many have not.
     I would do some research and see what regiments were in the area where the button was recovered.
Hope this helps some.

God Bless
Dan

PIA

Re: WAR OF 1812 BRITISH MARINE BUTTON?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 05:36:20 PM »
Thank you for the assistance.  I was stationed at NAS Glynco (Brunswick, GA) in the early 1970's and was fortunate to hunt a Colonial period site or two before finding some CW sites around Savannah and up in SC.  Did not know a darn thing about the 1700's artifacts (and still do not) but like them.  Ah, the good old days!

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 08:54:13 PM »
I can't find it any where but it is a nice button in great shape, congratulations

PIA

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 11:02:42 AM »
Appreciate your checking around.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 04:14:03 PM »
Think maybe it was personalized? As in monogram?

PIA

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 05:38:35 PM »
The letters are very nice script, but I do not know.  Colonial period stuff is foreign to me.  I dug a War of 1812 British Marine belt buckle in the same camp as this button.  Also a couple of pewter Rev War 'dogbone' I (SC) buttons.  Selling the 'dogbone' buttons on eBay right now.  Anybody need a couple thousand dug bullets? Rev War, Mexican War and CW. :-)   

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 07:55:38 PM »
PIA, I think 6lbgun is on the right track.  You will see many examples of script-initials-and-crown British Army buttons here:
http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/militarynamedregiments.htm
I did a quick survey for you in the hope of spotting your NRM button there, with no luck, but perhaps a missed it.

The other web resource I go to for identifying British Army buttons is the United Kingdom Detector Finds Database.  It is an enormous database... which will require more than a little bit of your time to search through its many-many webpages of British Army buttons.
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=22624&cat=all

Please let us know if you find your button listed at either Colchester Treasure Hunters or the UKDFD. If not, you might want to email them your photos, with measurements.

Regards,
Pete

PIA

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 09:02:57 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Pete.  Will check them out.  The Colonial artifacts are really, really neat.