Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Bolted  (Read 7323 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Bolted
« on: September 29, 2012, 06:48:05 PM »
Been a tad busy of late with the end of the work quarter, but I wanted to post something because the site has been a bit slow of late.

These are two pretty tough to find 3in Mullane bolts.  I got the one on the right from a walk-in digger at the Marietta Show a few years ago.  He dug it in Dalton, GA.  I think this was the last show Lawrence Christopher went to and he was set up next to Carl and me.  Lawrence was friends with the digger and said the guy dug it in the exact spot where Lawrence always parked his truck when he went digging there!

The one on the left came to me recently from a friend of Skip's (As an aside, I eMailed Skip a couple days ago with my condolences and directed him to this soothing video but Skip is ignoring me: 

http://www.bloguin.com/crystalballrun/2012-articles/september/arkansas-fan-sings-love-ballad-after-upset-loss.html

Anyway, back on topic...I did not realize there were two distinct types of these bolts but you can clearly see that:

The studs on the bottom of the Dalton one are shorter than what is common as well.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Bolted
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »
A great voice, goofy girl ::)
and great bolts.
John

callicles

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 12:27:08 AM »
Okay, stupid question.

Was the powder charge attached to these shells?  If so, how? I just don't understand the need for such long, protruding bolts.  Why were they not cut flush with the actual bolt/shell? 

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 07:43:44 AM »
Sir,
  If you notice that the rotating band is very thin, the bolt held a wooden suport block to help keep the plate from bending to the rear and thus disengaging it from the rifling.
Regards,
John
P.S. there are numerous comments on this in previous posts.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 02:13:06 PM »
I guess these are very rare, I looked for more info on them and couldn't find anything, let alone one for sale  lol. VERY cool