Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Boremann Fuze Debate  (Read 10313 times)

callicles

• Email
Boremann Fuze Debate
« on: August 13, 2012, 01:07:50 AM »
For my own selfish reasons, I'd like to start up the debate regarding Boremann fuses. (See thread regarding 12-pd Case Shot Cut in Half.) Firstly, I would like to throw out here a simple question (and here comes my selfishness): is there a controversy about whether or not a fuse with a 90-degree wedge shape is specifically Yankee-made?  Or, are there folks out here who think such a fuse could be CS-made?

Secondly, there seems to be a disagreement regarding when and where the fuse was installed.  Both John and 6lbgun assert that the fuses were installed at the arsenal.  Pete seems to disagree. 

John wrote the following:

Bormann fuses are installed at an arsenal using a very special tool to fit the tool indentation. Being of a soft metal, the Bormann can't be removed without it without causing much damage.

I doubt if a gunner would attempt the removal of a U.s. Bormann so as to re-install it in his shell nor return the shell to one of their arsenals for a re-fit. But I guess perhaps anything is possible.
Best Regards,
John

Pete George retorted thusly:

Bormann fuzes were definitely NOT installed in the shell at the arsenal. Bormann fuzes CAN be unscrewed from the shell (if not left in place "too" long. Here are SIX pieces of proof:
1- Yankee 12-pounder Limber-chest "contents diagrams" show a separate compartment for the fuzes. The yankees very rarely used paper timefuzes in 12-pdr. shells, so the diagram MUST be referring to storing Bormann fuzes in a separate compartment if the Limber-chest.
2- Various caches of unfired Bormann shells have been dug, and in some of the caches the shells' Bormann fuzes were absent.
3- Bormann fuze-wrenches have been dug at cannon-positions and in artillery camps. Why would the artillerymen be issued those Bormann fuze-wrenches if the fuzes were already installed in the shells at the arsenal?
4- One version of US-made Bormann fuze has a feathered arrow on its face, pointing in a counterclockwise direction (the "unscrew" direction). If the Bormann fuze cannot be unscrewed after installation, what is the purpose of the arrow on the fuze?
5- Some "dropped" (unfired) Bormann fuzes have been dug which show slight damage from the Bormann fuze-wrench twisting the fuze in the UNSCREW direction.
6- ALL Bormann fuzes have a thin sheetmetal disc at the center of the fuze's underside. The thin metal disc's purpose is to prevent water or "humidity" from entering the fuze's flame-hole while the fuze is in storage, awaiting use. To prepare the fuze for use, the artillerymen had to pierce one or more tiny holes through the sheetmetal disc, to allow flame from the fuze to enter the shell's bursting-charge cavity. That would be impossible to do if the fuze was installed at the arsenal and could not be unscrewed later.

Regards,
Pete

6lbgun countered the above with this:

I would respectfully disagree with that.

On page 275 of the 1863 Ordnance Manual it reads:
To charge the shot: Fill the chamber with musket -powder, ramming it softly with a wooden drift and light mallet; screw in the iron plug, leaving it's top flush with the bottom of the large portion of the fuse-hole, and lay over it a thin leather washer with hole in the center; fill the hole in the plug and the washer with rifle-powder; punch 4 or 5 small holes in the tin disk in the bottom of the fuse; put a little white lead on the threads of the fuse, and screw the fuse firmly into the shell."
The white lead, washer, and firm tightening was considered sufficient to seal the shell.
This quote is found in the section of the manual concerning filling and fixing ammunition. These would be Arsenal instructions not field instructions. I think the pictures of the Cairo salvage in John's post showing fixed ammunition in their shipping crates, fused, would support this.
Concerning the caches of shells found with the Bormanns missing. If these caches were made to abandon the projectiles, what better to disarm them than by pulling the fuse and opening the interior of the shell to the elements. The fact that some fuses were intact may be due to the fact that they couldn't get them out.

Everyone is making great arguments.

Okay, if my fuse is Yankee made, installed into a CS-made Boremann shell, then where is the argument?  I want to make sure the 90-degree wedge theory is readily upheld by the people here (for my own obvious, selfish reasons).  If it is a definite Yankee-made fuse, then it would seem that field replacements were a fact.  (However, it could be posited that Confederates captured Yankee-made fuses and sent them to arsenals to be placed in CS-made shells at factory location, or the Rebs had access to such fuses before the War started.)  I don't know?  I feel like a 16 year old girl awaiting some sort of validation that has not been forthcoming (I guess that's a stupid analogy but I'll stick with it.)

Anyway, for reference, I post below better pictures of the fuse where, I hope, the 90-degree wedge is more easily seen (the line visible in the picture is from where the shell was cut).  Just let me know if you guys think my fuse is Yankee made (again, go to the above mentioned thread to see pictures of the sliced shell with the rebate groove.)  Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry to start all this back up and sorry for the long post.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:30:42 AM by callicles »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Boremann Fuze Debate
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 11:47:15 AM »
callicles,
     With regard to your question "is the fuse U.S. or C.S. I have not seen 1860s documentation why some fuses have a 90 or 45 degree section on the fuse face.  The only apparent proof is where they were found or which arsenal assembled them.
      Your fuse appears to be punched at or near the 5 second mark so it was either dropped at the site of preparation or impacted and dud fired at the enemy.  Where was your shell located?
      Perhaps it was merely a manufacturing cast used by different casting agencies. Perhaps it was cast on a 45 to add the additional selection time before the 1 second mark.  Those cast with the "U backwards S" are clearly Union and have the 90 degree face cast.
      With regard to the "C. S. rebate" perhaps it was cut that way to keep the gasket in place rather than for additional flame protection.
      With regard to the discussion about when the Bormann is screwed into the projectile I believe the document reference quote and the photo of the box of 12 pdrs clearly show that they come fully assembled and ready to punch and fire.  Surely the gunner would not be required to  remove them from the shipping box, remove the fuse so they could be placed in the cassion in a separate compartment with the shells and them punch the fuse bottom, prime the support plug with powder and re-install them.  They surely come from the arsenal as an "all up" round.  This is photographic proof of fuse installation at an arsenal.
      As to my use of the word "perhaps" well it's just a bit of speculation on my part and this is about all I can say on this one.
Thanks for the re-post.
All the Best,
John aka Bart
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:57:14 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

callicles

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 01:30:35 AM »
John,

Thanks for your response. Perhaps I should not assume that my fuse is Yankee-made. (Maybe the 90-degree wedge theory is "out-the-window.")

The shell was recovered in conjunction with the Vicksburg Campaign.  Yes, it seems to be punched at the 5 second mark, but where it was recovered would seem to indicate it was a dud -- not lost during prepping.

As you can see, the fuse is not in the best condition, so there is no evident "U" or backward "S."  But, may I ask where this "U" and "S" might be located on the fuse -- I might be able to get a magnifying glass and take a closer look?

You wrote: "With regard to the 'C. S. rebate' perhaps it was cut that way to keep the gasket in place rather than for additional flame protection."  Are you saying that some US shells have the same "rebates?"

As regards your proof that Boremann fuses were screwed in at the arsenals, both you and 6lbgun make convincing arguments. I hope that Pete Chimes in.

Anyway, John, thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate what you do here on this site!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:52:03 AM by callicles »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 08:43:45 AM »
No, I am not sayhing that some U.S. shells have the rebate. I believe the fuse hole was undercut (rebated), the gasket forced in as to retain it from being dislodged.
Regards,
John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 12:34:29 PM »
  I still have more information and educational photos to contribute to the Bormann fuze discussion.  But in the past week I've had more kidney-stone pain, my wife's Vertigo malady continues (which means I have to take care of her), and both my car and my wife's have had to go into the repair-shop.  I've also had to finish  a batch of shells for the NST National Civil War Show here in Richmond, which starts tomorrow for us dealers.  I'll resume posting in this discussion next week.

Regards,
Pete 

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »
Pete and Mike,
   since you assured me that the Bormann and all U.s. ACW fuzes were right hand thread.
I think you will find that the C/Cw arrow indicates direction of the burn, not direction of unthreading.
Cheers,
John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 08:16:43 PM »
  Umm... the arrow is aimed in the counterclockwise direction, which is the un-screwing direction for American-made Bormann fuzes.  The early Bormann fuzes were made in Europe, and left-twist threading tend to be European.  (Several civil war era British fuzes had left-twist threading.) But of course, the counterclockwise arrow could represent burn-direction.  Can't figure why burn-direction necessary to indicate on the fuze's face though.  When you hear the command "Case-Shot, 3-second fuze!" you punch the fuze at the number 3, and that's that.

Regards,
Pete

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 08:23:22 PM »
And punch to the right of desired time.  Pete usually in america the arrow is placed on a fuze with left handed threads.  Ever try screwing the hose on your b-b-que pit the wrong way?  :)
Best Regards,
John

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 09:49:22 AM »
Dear Pete,
    I think I have an answer to your mis-understanding about separate compartments for Bormann fuses in the limber chests.
Below is a quote from Alfred Mordecai's "Artillery for the U.s. Land Service" Part 12, page 4:
   "Ammunition Chest for the 12pdr Howitzer.  Plate II 
   Six partitions, three in each half, supported like those of the 6-pounder chest.  Twenty-one bolsters, for the lower tier of shells and spherical case shot. They are cupped out to receive the balls, and have holes bored through the bottom, for the fuzes to lie in. They are placed in the bottom of the Chest, three in each division, except the first one in the right half; they are fastened to the bottom, each by 4 sprigs."

The holes were drilled in the bottom to prevent damage to the fuses, as the fixed round is placed ball down.
Best Regards,
John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 02:38:24 PM »
  Correct me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't that book by Mordecaai published in 1849 -- several years before the US artillery service adopted the Bormann fuze?  If so, how can the writing you cited from it be referring to Bormann fuzes?

Regards,
Pete

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »
Pete,
If you look at the quote again it didn't specify which fuze/fuse.  The Belgium Bormann was invented long before our civil war and even used in the Crimean War. I don't think anyone knows when the Bormann was accepted or even purchased.  At any rate the bored holes was to protect the fuses.
John

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 04:19:50 PM »
Dear Pete,
   If Mordecai's reference is too early, then how about a 1862 U.S. Ordnance Manual as follows:
     "Fon 32-pnn. AND 24-PDR. HOWITZERS.—Shells and Spherical Case Shot.— Placed upright, the balls down, resting on strips of wood about .25 inch thick, placed lengthwise of the box and nailed to the bottom, so as to pre-vent the fuzes from bearing on the bottom of the box. The balls are held down by small strips of wood tacked with sprigs to the sides of the box, over the sabots. The cartridges are laid on top of the sabots.
Canisters are packed in the same manner, omitting the strips of wood in the bottom of the box.
FOR 12-PDR. FIELD AND MOUNTAIN HOWITZERS.—Sliells and Spherical Case Shot, fixed.—Placed upright, the balls down, resting on strips of wood, as for the other howitzers."

Cheers,
John

mccaul

• Email
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 09:13:54 AM »
The US Army conducted tests on the Bormann Fuze in the summer of 1854 with favorable results.  (This information was obtained in the US Archives and is discussed in my book on page 28.)  Unfortunately, I did not find any written documentation on when the Bormann Fuze was officially adopted.  My guess is that the fuze was adopted within a year or two at the most.  I say that as the 1860 Ordnance Instructions for the United States Navy  states, when discussing the use of the boat howitzer, that "When provided with the Bormann fuze the shrapnel, or shell, as issued, is complete.  The upper surface of this fuze is graduated into seconds and fourths of seconds; and it is only necessary to lay bare the composition contained in the fuze, by the cutting tool, to prepare the projectile for instant use.  In this respect the Bormann fuze has an advantage over the ordinary fuze." Since the Navy would have adopted the Bormann Fuze after the Army and that the publication of the their 1860 Ordnance Instructions would have taken at least a year to prepare, I would guess that the Navy adopted the Bormann Fuze by at least 1858.  One item worth noting is that the Navy issued projectiles armed with the Bormann Fuze complete, which means that it was prepared at an arsenal, not on board ship.  Being able to prepare a complete projectile in an arsenal was one of the major advantages of the Bormann fuze over the older paper or wooden fuzes, one that both the Army and Navy would have taken advantage of.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 03:13:05 PM »
Ed,
   Thank you for your interest and valuable input to this topic.  It would appear that only the C. S. had severe problems with the Bormann.  The Belgium Army achieved such good results with this fuse that it was kept a secret for several years.  The British, using Boxer's fuse, unfairly critisized it  and wanted more than just 5 seconds available to them.
Best Regards,
John

joevann

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 01:07:18 AM »
I may be mistaken, but wasn't it Adophus Dahlgren who brought the molds for the Bormann fuse back to the U.S. during his Military Mission to Europe during the 1850s?  I seem to recall he purchased it from an artillery captain from one of the German States.