Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Odd Schenkl Fuze, I.D. Please;  (Read 7007 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Odd Schenkl Fuze, I.D. Please;
« on: January 05, 2013, 01:27:02 PM »
Can someone shed more light on this Schenkl fuze?
John

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 01:47:33 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Odd Schenkl Fuze, I.D. Please;
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 06:40:47 PM »
It is missing its centercap first off.  With that and absent the collar, its pretty normal unless the not provided dimensions are different from standard.  So, presumably the question has more to do with the collar.  It doesn't appear to be a bushing for a bigger opening unless there is a threaded portion below the collar which has sheered off.  I have seen a lot of bushings to adapt one type of fuse to a different opening or to allow the insertion of case shot.

Was it recovered from a Civil War era location?  Shortly, I will be posting some post war Schenkl fuses, some with war era dates and some with dates well past the end of hostilities.  This was a highly effective fuse and continued to be used for 3+ decades after the war ended.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Odd Schenkl Fuze, I.D. Please;
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 07:10:41 PM »
Thank you Mike, you are also right  on.
    It is a standard small Schenkl fuze screwed into a special adapter to fit the Schenkl to a post war shell.  It was recoved from Mare Island the first Navy Yard on the West Coast. in about 1854.  Hundreds of Civil War fuzes have been recovered there during the massive EPA cleanup.
Regards,
John