Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: The lowly US Navy watercap fuse adapter  (Read 14651 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: The lowly US Navy watercap fuse adapter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 06:56:57 AM »
 Joe V,           two things -  could we see a photo of an 8 inch Butler shell please.  And in an above post, you say you were digging these fuzes at Mare Island.  The rumor always has been that they were dumped offshore and found by divers.  Can you tell us more please........

joevann

• Email
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 08:22:17 AM »
After I return home from a DR. appointment, I will post some photos.  The diving story is nonsense.  The waters in the Napa River and Carquinez Straits around Mare Island are akin to diving in chocolate milk with one heck of a riptide.  All of these fuzes were removed from shells during routine maintenance at the Mare Island Naval Ammunition Depot at the south end of the island, a seperate command from the shipyard.  They were dumped off the end of the former Ammunition Dock into the Napa River in the 19th Century.  Beginning in the 1930s, this area was dredged to allow for the passage of submarines.  The dredging spoils were pumped by pipe to the southern tip of the island and redeposited forming a beach area.  Formerly this area had a sheer drop off from a high rocky cliff with a lighthouse perched atop.  It was well-known that ordnance items were occaisionally found in the area, but the ammunition depot had closed long before the shipyard and the area was mostly overgrown and ignored.  Shortly before closure, a Navy EOD team spent 3 months digging the site, ran out of funds, and declared it clean.  When it was definately decided to close, I led a team to explore the area and identify sites for ordnance removal.  Large numbers were found on or just below the surface, and when the EOD Det got word, they went out as individuals to collect souvenirs.  I left in 1998 to join the FUDS removal and Archives Search Team at the Corps of Engineers, Rock Island District (I've always been a Federal Employee).  At that time, the removal project had not formerly begun in that area.  Weston was awarded a contract and began the removal after I left, and as far as I know it is continuing in spurts as the funds are available.  It recently stopped again as they are developing a plan for mechanical removal via dredging.  A small number of items were given (not sold) to various individuals and museums by myself and John Wilken.  Particularly Jack Bell and some ended up in Chuck Jones collection.  I'd heard the "buckets full found by divers" stories at various gun shows and chuckled softly to myself.  Yes, I used to dive, but no more.

joevann

• Email
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 04:36:44 PM »
OK.  I'm a lousy photographer.  These are two 8-inch Navy Butler projectiles from the 1880s.  I am not physically able to move them for the moment due to surgery.

joevann

• Email
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »
Navy Watercaps dug at Mare Island.  I KNOW thats where they are from because I dug them. Dates are 1860, 61, 62, 63, 64, and 65.  An 1859 was found but I don't have it.

joevann

• Email
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »
A few more.  All post-CW.  1878, 79, 80, 81, and 1896, which I believe is the last year of production.  I will verify this with the annual reports of the Chief of the Bureau of Ordnance.

joevann

• Email
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 05:04:27 PM »
These are side views of the previous watercaps.  First, L to R 1860, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, and 1878.  Note the 1" diameter on the 1878.
Second L to R  65, 78, 79, 80, 81, 96, 96, 96.  The 78-81 all have the 1" diameter thread, but only the 80 and 81 have the extended magazine.  I guess they figured out that a watercap doesn't ignite very well as a nose fuze in rifled ordnance.  The 1896 returns to the thread used in spherical ammunition.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 06:56:50 PM »
Very nice specimens Joe, thank you for posting them. Makes me wish I was back on active duty again to go TAD to Mare Island to help.:)
John

joevann

• Email
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 07:39:50 PM »
Well, John.  You could always put in an application with Weston as a UXO tech!  There are a couple in the field I think are older than you.  Pays pretty good, too.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
Ha, if they are older than me they have no business in the fieeld. :)
I missed out on Mare Island and also the Cairo salvage.
Regardes,
John