Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: John P. Schenkl  (Read 14617 times)

mccaul

• Email
John P. Schenkl
« on: September 11, 2012, 07:24:10 AM »
I would like to find out if anyone has or has ever seen a photograph of John P. Schenkl and whether anyone has or has seen a document signed by him with the exception of a patent?  Thanks,

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: John P. Schenkl
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 08:20:06 AM »
Ed,
   I have been looking for a photo of Schenkl but no luck.  We have discovered his burial obit and location which was discussed in a prior posting.  If I find one you will be the first to have it.
Regards,
John

Garret

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 11:16:07 PM »
So is the consensus that Jack Bell's section on Schenkl being killed in an accidental shell explosion is erroneous? 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

mccaul

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 07:21:13 AM »
Schenkl died in Germany from an illness and not from an accidental shell explosion.  You will find the best biographical information available about Schenkl in my book.  Unfortunately, I have never been able to find a photograph of him.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »
Thank you Ed, we had covered this subject on a previous posting.  This is what happens when we mix different subjects within one topic.
 Garret - See Below for Schenkl's obit:
     http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=SC&GSfn=j&GSpartial=1&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=21&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GSsr=121&GRid=42912724&df=all&

Regards,
John
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:06:52 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

modockowando

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 11:25:52 AM »
Interesting.  He immigrated to the US.. and returned to Europe later in life..  Right?  Maybe a photo could be found among these application papers.  I have been checking the Ma newpaper archives but no photos.. just alot of ads for his store/patent/legislative action etc..  Searching for info on his wife and/or children might yield some results.  Perhaps you have already checked this out and i am just duplicating efforts here.  Love a good hunt.. be it in the dirt or on the web :-)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 12:41:39 PM »
Schenkl's wife Fredericka is dead and I am told that both children are deceased. Sort of puts a kink in telephone location for info and photos.
He had to have had a passport, drivers licience where he lived. I just don't have the time or good vision to search further on this.
Please take the ball and run with it.  Thanks.
Regards,
John

modockowando

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 01:32:03 PM »
i just found a passport application for him dated 1 aug 1855.  Pretty sure its the same guy.  It does not have a photo but gives a description of him.  Not sure how much this would help :-) 
Also, it looks as tho this paper has his signature on it.  Should I send this thru?  This is from anscestry..  i have membership but if you need to use it for some form of publication it might pay to get an official copy out of Boston. Might be able to request an official copy via ancestry (fee based service - I think); they offer this service on some docs. 

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 01:43:08 PM »
Nice bit of searching on your part. thank you.  Do you have a nick name??:)
Regards,
John

modockowando

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »
Sue..  :-) 

I'll send it. If you think it's something you can use I'll see abt getting the original.

Looks like the file is too big to get thru so i'm going to play with it a bit..  If it still won't go, I can do a special delivery to your addy (either pdf or jpg) or snail mail.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »
That signature matches the one I have on a patent model tag of his.

Try Photobucket.com (very easy & free) and no size limit to post bigger pictures.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 08:44:31 PM »
Sue like in girl?  I have no personal use for it but I think Ed McCaul might like to have it.
Thank you for locating it.
John

Mike,
I would really like to 'bucket' the Bormann drawing but can't figure out how to use it. Perhaps if I had steps to use it I could change the image size.
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 08:58:19 PM »

modockowando

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 10:05:07 PM »
Hey.. Glad to hear that it was a match!!   
So far no luck on the photo of Schenkl but I'll plug away at it now and again.  I'll see what i can do with photo bucket.. never used it before. 

and to the other comment  :o ;) 

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 10:26:39 PM »
Mo...:

We have a few other female members like Doc and Tracy so don't let old fogeys like Bart (that's intended to be humorous John, so please don't get bent) intimidate you.  Humour him, he's retired from the Navy and they didn't let him off the ship much.

Myself and my fellow "webmaster" on this site welcome diversity and are thrilled to have your participation.  You have already added to the dialogue so please keep bringing it.  And I am proud to have grown up in New England and would take Maine over Florida (Bart's half year stomping grounds) any day.