Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 5.1 Schenkl  (Read 13480 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: 5.1 Schenkl
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 09:34:39 AM »
I guess I will be the one to tell you the reason for the "steal" on your linen wrapped Hotchkiss:

Condition
Very good. Molded putty driving band added for display.

I got another Hotchkiss with this same fine print too.  I am not sure if it was added after I put my absentee bid in a week ago, but I couldn't retract my bid so watched it run up to my exact max and stop there  >:(

alwion

• Email
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 09:42:05 AM »
Newbie with auction fever got carried away at his 1st online live auction having no idea what he was doing. Don't count on those higher dollar reads going that high again, as now I have some to live with till I die, or take a loss

redbob

• Email
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 09:49:17 AM »
Don't feel bad, you aren't the first to get auction fever and I certainly doubt that you will be the last. I'll have to live to be at least hundred if I ever expect to get back what I have overpaid on.

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »
Fckin a.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 11:59:47 AM »
Sorry guys, just released from hospital.  That  is a mighty fine Schenkl regardless of where it came from. I don't think that is a recognized method of inerting a shell. Does the fuze UN-screw. Weight?
Regards,
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »
Welcome back John.  The place is not the same when you aren't posting.

You should call Dave the Plumber.  He just called me from the road where he was driving back from the auction.  I would have had some questions of my own had I known he was going, but I am sure he got a good firsthand look at everything including the 5.1" Schenkl.

24thMichigan

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 02:16:57 PM »
Although it did not state that this was a putty sabot as some other Hotchkiss lots did, I have my suspicions.  No big deal as I don't have a single Hotchkiss bolt in my collection.  I didn't bid on any shells as I was not comfortable with the disarming explanation.  Sure wish I could have snagged that auger though.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2016, 10:26:40 PM »
I talked to The Plumber as well and he said the 5.1-inch Schenkl was a beauty.  He also said the putty job by the guy was excellent with good rifling, etc. and was on a number of shells.  Let us know 24thMichigan when you get it but I bet that one on the right in your image is what they are calling putty as, at least to me, it seems to be expanded more than one would expect from a fired Hotchkiss.  That would be some serious windage on the iron.  Also of note though it is a fired projectile it is not as short as it should be when compared to the one to the left of it.  But I hope I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:28:26 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

24thMichigan

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 12:44:42 AM »
Carl, exactly what I was thinking.  Regarding length, the 2 on the left come apart.  It could be that the middle one has more of the top knocked off than is apparent or, if the one on the right has a fake sabot it pushed the nose up a little if it was also detachable.  No big deal I got them all for little over $100. apiece so it's not a huge investment.  Will let you know what I find out when they arrive.  Regards.

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 01:15:41 AM »
I am going to chip the putty off of mine. I can't stand replacements.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 11:57:00 AM »
I wouldn't do that Scott....  I think it looks fine myself.  Set it on your desk as a reminder to be careful.  I have a fake item out in the house to remind me of a time I got carried away. 

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 03:27:34 PM »
It's gone. I actually like the look of these without the sabot as the mechanics are clearer. I might make a nice bookend out of it as reminder to READ THE DAMN DETAILS.

24thMichigan

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 05:17:06 PM »
I don't have mine yet so not even sure if it is real or putty, but I suspect the worst.  If that is the case I will most likely remove it too.  I understand what you are saying pipe dreamer, but I prefer authenticity over replication even if it is done well.  I have a "almost" 9-pounder solid shot and a STEEL 6-pounder here from the early days to remind me of mistakes....lol!

alwion

• Email
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 06:30:41 PM »
I sure hope this is a better experience than its sounding. 78 dollars shipping seemed high , till I figured 55 lbs of iron  lol, better not be putty though

Garret

• Email
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 09:30:48 PM »
I agree with Scott I like the relics untouched.  By the way how much did the 5.1 go for?
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain