Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Arkansas Hawg, M-1851 Austrian Carbine  (Read 11007 times)

Skip

• Email
Arkansas Hawg, M-1851 Austrian Carbine
« on: June 03, 2011, 12:01:44 PM »
Russ Pritchard and Tim Prince have an excellent article published in the latest issue of the North South Trader's Civil War concerning the M-1851 Austrian carbine which was imported in limited quantities by both sides during the War. The weapon was .71 or .72 caliber with a fourteen and a half inch rifled barrel the bore of which has "distinctive 12-groove rifling". They had been converted from flint to percussion with defective hammers that would break after being fired a couple of times.
Like most defective weapons they were shipped to the TM Dept. The only two mentions of them in the O.R.'s have them issued to Kansas cavalry units who had them replaced at the soonest opportunity. Surely some of these must have fallen into Confederate hands.
The Arkansas hawg bullet was fired by a weapon having twelve grooves. The bullet is well constructed having been cast in a well made mold which appears to be foreign in nature. The article provided documentation that the Confederacy also imported some of these carbines.
Could the Hawg bullet have been made specifically for this carbine?
As far as we know there is no written records of this being the case so it's just a theory, but one that makes sense. This forum is blessed with some the most knowledgable folks in CW small arms projectiles so your imput would be greatly appreciated.

R. J. in LA

Re: Arkansas Hawg, M-1851 Austrian Carbine
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 05:01:30 PM »
Good topic Skip, would you have an example of a fired Arkansas Hawg with the twelve groove rifling that you could shoot a pic of & post?

Thanks, R. J.

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 05:20:16 PM »
I have one of those cute little Austrian carbines and I assume that the recoil must have been a bit noticeable with a heavy bullet like the Arkansas Hawg.
If I remember correctly, one of the complaints from Union officers about the Austrian carbine was that the bullets fell out. I can only guess that they were using undersized .69 minnies.
As far as the Hawg being made specifically for the Austrian carbine, it is possible but they could have been used in anything that they could fit.
Just my opinions.
Tom Buckley
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 05:24:54 PM by tom buckley »

Skip

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »
Hey R.J.,

We don't have any more fired Hawgs. The best one I've ever seen is currently in Brian Riel's collection if he hasn't sold it. The rifling on it was very distinct.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 02:36:41 PM »
Ok Skip, thanks.

R. J.

ETEX

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 02:45:15 PM »
RJ, I would also like to see some good pics of a fired hawg. If those of you that have them in your collection would be so kind to photo and post I would appreciate it.

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 02:26:44 PM »
My copy of North South Trader's Civil War got here today and I had to stop everything to read the article. I now do have a lot more respect for my little Austrian carbine.
I seem to remember a post somewhere, maybe about two years back, about fired .71 bullets dug near Nashville, TN with twelve groove rifling marks. Could have been  fired from an M1851 carbine or a Garibaldi Rifle. Does anyone have information about those bullets?
Like I said, I remember reading it somewhere, but my memory is failing fast. :-[
Tom Buckley
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:30:01 PM by tom buckley »