Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Reusable Cartridge I.D. (?)  (Read 3729 times)

Skip

• Email
Reusable Cartridge I.D. (?)
« on: August 01, 2014, 08:29:23 PM »
This appears to be a reusable cartridge of some type. The picture of the back is a little blury but inside is a percussion cap that appears to be mounted on a post or possibly a tube. It stands one and one half inches tall. Because the brass is cracked and pushed in it's hard to get an accurate measurement with the micrometer but the projectile appears to be .52 caliber. If anyone could identify this it would be greatly appreciated.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
Re: Reusable Cartridge I.D. (?)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 11:19:27 AM »
Come on Skip, I thought you collected bullets.  Perhaps it's time to buy a bullet reference book printed by Thomas Publications?  ;)

This is a good one...a .50 cal. Morse cartridge.  The bullet has been pushed back into the case very far in this specimen.

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »
Skip, you have a winner there. Where did you pick that one up from?

Skip

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 05:10:38 PM »
Thank you, Jim. I figured that if anyone knew it would be you and Dean.

I do have the paperback book that you and Dean published but have not purchased the new series yet thanks to the booming obama economy.

Mike, I'm embarrassed to tell you that at this time I'm not sure where we got it. Every time we would buy a collection we'd pull the bullets that were to go on the website and put the rest and the cartridges in wooden display cases which were stored in the back of a closet. The cases were covered up by some boxes with other relics and guess who forgot all about them? Things have been slow the last couple of months and since I've had extra time on my hands, Meigs told me to start going through the boxes and cases and put the less than desirable and common bullets on eBay. The cartridge came out of one of those cases

We've got a legal size manilla folder with the notes we made when these items were purchased but that's even a bigger mess so it will be a while if ever before we can match it to its cost and origin.

By the way, Jim, I also have a rare fired TM bullet that I would be glad to post along with an explanation of why they are so scarce if you'd like.

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
Good for you Skip!  i have a Morse shotgun cartridge that functions the same as the .50 Caliber.  Have been looking for a .50 caliber most of my life to no avail!!!

ETEX

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 01:04:45 PM »
Skip, I would appreciate and like seeing the fired TM bullet if you could post it?