Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: C.S. Brass 6 pdr Cannon, Question;  (Read 4171 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
C.S. Brass 6 pdr Cannon, Question;
« on: February 04, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »
In February 1865 a C.S. "Cow" calvary made a raid on the Union Fort Myers, SW Florida.  A Florida HIstorical Quarterly stated that they carried a brass 6 pdr cannon with them in their artack.
 I believe the 6pdr is about 3.6 inches in diamter (correct me if wrong) what type of ammuniton and fuzes would they have had available other than the solid shot?
The purpose of their raid was to remove Union opposition to their cattle shipments to the C.S. Army.
Regards,
JOhn

Pete George

• Email
Re: C.S. Brass 6 pdr Cannon, Question;
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 09:27:59 PM »
  The bore diameter of a 6-pounder caliber smoothbore cannon is 3.67-inches.  Cannonballs for it are typically 3.58-inches in diameter, plus or minus .01 or .02-inch.

In February of 1865, in a Deep South state like Florida, Confederate 6-pounder shells were typically wooden-fuzed, and could be either an ordinary Common-Shell or a Polygonal-Cavity shell.  For example, the magazine of an 1865 Confederate fortification at West Point GA contained only those kinds of 6-pounder shells. 

Regards,
Pete

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 09:32:46 PM »
Thank you Pete,
So I take it only solid shot and shell, no case shot?  How about canister?
Regards,
John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:57:28 PM »
  Confederate Canister was almost certainly still available in the Deep South in 1865, but Confederate Case-Shot in that region had by that time become extremely rare.

I realize your question is about ammo for the CS 6-pounder cannon at the 1865 Florida battle, but let me share some knowledge about the rather surprising near-complete lack of CS Case-Shot in the Deep South in 1864-65.

In Virginia in 1864-65, Lee's army still had plentiful supplies of Spherical Case, but Cylindrical Case was almost nonexistent.  In the summer 1864 Atlanta Campaign, Johnston's artillerymen had almost no Case-Shot.  Very nearly every 12-pounder shell they fired was a wooden-fuzed Polygonal Cavity ...I testify to that as a longtime Atlanta Campaign shell-hunter.)

Insofar as I'm aware, no Confederate Case-Shot has been found in Sherman's march from Atlanta to Savannah and then north through the Carolinas, except for a few converted-to-paper-timefuze CS 12-pounder Bormann Case-Shots at Honey Hill SC.  Some "Sideloader" CS 12-pounder Case-Shots do show up at the battle of Bentonville NC.  Again insofar as I'm aware, almost no Confederate Case-Shot (of any caliber) was found in the 1865 river-dumping at the Selma AL arsenal site, nor at the 1865 river-dumping at the Milledgeville GA Depot site.

Speaking of river-dumpings... regarding the one at the (presumably 1865) Augusta GA arsenal site... strangely, no "Sideloader" Case-Shot from there has been reported to me, but several hundred mixed 6, 12, and 24-pounder CS Bormann Case-Shots were found in the river there.

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:00:15 PM by Pete George »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 07:38:54 AM »
Pete,
  Thank you for a complete rundown on my question. The 6 pdr is documented in a Florida Historical Quarterly, however, the Union fort at Fort Myers is said to have had two cannon of unknown type and caliber. I think loclal organiztions are attempting to portray the battle each year but aren't sure what two cannons to use.
Regards,
John