Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: The Selma Projectile;  (Read 11249 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
The Selma Projectile;
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:40:14 PM »
To All Interested,
   Perhaps Pete and our new member Jamie can provide us with some information about the Selma Shell.
Regards,
John

relicrunner

Re: The Selma Projectile;
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:37:27 AM »
John, Great image......I will try for the first time to post a picture.....attached is a picture of a significant piece of that type of shell from the battle of Peachtree Creek in Atlanta

relicrunner

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:39:05 AM »
I meant to mention to notice how off center the inside cavity was formed.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 11:13:33 AM »
Good Morning,
   Can you give us a clearer image of the internal part and sabot?  Any idea where Selma got the idea for the segmented powder cavity?
Regards,
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 05:06:16 PM »
Here are some for you to look at John.  The 3.67" sabot at the bottom right has the square post.  Most have a rectangular post.  Some have the word "Blakeley" stamped in them beside the post.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 05:50:21 PM »
Mike,
Do you know where or how Selma learned about the segmented body technology?  And what is the Blakely connection?
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »
Wow, what a nice collection of Selma's!

Methinks Mike meant bottom left for the square post sabot.

Here is a prior thread with all kinds of info and images on this subject:
    http://bulletandshell.com/forum/index.php?topic=355.0
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 07:16:38 PM »
Carl,
  Yes I remember it very well, however, the question of Selma's relationship to Blakely has never been satisfactorily explained.
John

jamesshell

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 01:36:51 AM »
JOHN,

I WOULD FIRST LIKE TO THANK YOU, FOR INCLUDING ME IN YOUR DISCUSSION.. ALL THE SELMA MADE PROJECTILES WITH  THIS TYPE OF SABOT THAT I'VE EXAMINED ALL CAME FROM ATLANTA, GA AREA, FT BLAKELY AL, AND A GROUP CAME OUT OF CAMDEN SC... I HAVE A 3.67 SELMA SHORT PATTERN THAT MY FRIEND DUG IN THE FL BLAKELY AREA .. I ALSO HAVE SEVERAL SABOTS THAT ARE 3.67 " THAT CAME FROM FT BLAKELY.. IT'S INTERESTING.. THAT MIKES PICS OF HIS EXAMPLES SHOWS A SQUARE POST, I BELIEVE COME FROM THE ATLANTA AREA... THE FRAGMENTS THAT I HAVE ALL HAVE A RECTANGULAR POST.. I WONDER IF THAT HAS ANYTHING TO INDICATE WHEN THEY WERE MANUFACTURED.. ??? TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION I HAVE NO IDEA THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SELMA AND BLAKELY.. BUT I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW!!! JAIME R  P.S. MANY YEARS AGO I HAD A CHANCE TO BUY 2 MINT CAMDEN SELMA'S FOR 3K AND I DIDN'T... WHAT AN IDIOT!!!!

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 11:31:24 AM »
God, here we go again.  I doubt it will never be explained enough to suit everyone.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 11:35:45 AM »
Jamie,
Thank you for your input.  Most interesting about Fort Blakely, AL.   Was there an arsenal located at Fort Blakely?
they may have not been imported from Mr. Blakely in England after all. Although, I have a photo showing some Brooke ratchet sabots stacked in a pile. 
Regards,
Johnn

redbob

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 04:40:59 PM »
Fort Blakely is on the Eastern shore of  Mobile Bay, across from Mobile and the nearest arsenal to it would have been up the Alabama River at Selma

jamesshell

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »
John,

I'm very sure that there was no arsenal at Ft Blakely... If you are ever in the Mobile.. You HAVE TO GO to Ft Blakely.. It's a confederate fort filled with trenches, redoubts, an ammunition magazine, and gun pits.. most arsenals required a water source to run a mill and machining tools.. in addition tons of wood/coal to run a furnace for casting metal, horses, wagons, roads to bring in material such as processed copper and iron.. and people to run the arsenal.. I think most of the confederate's ammunition came from Selma.. If you every have a chance to look at the shipment of artillery pieces from Selma to other parts of the confederacy, you can see that most pieces went to fortifications at Mobile.  As I'm sure the same goes with ammunition.  To address your pic of Brooke sabots.. My friend dug 6 US 100lb parrott shells in one hole in the bluffs at Vicksburg.. the shell were located behind confederate line and had been fired.. all the fuses had been screwed out and i believe the powder was removed by the confederates..  Either to make the shell inert or to utilize the powder. Maybe powder was a commodity???.  Copper was a huge commodity.. especially when copper suppliers in the south were captured by the north.. if is a war time pic i think that they were trying to salvage the cooper.. 10lbs of copper sabot..   that's a good amount..   But who know? Jaime 

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 05:42:57 PM »
Jameie,
  I believe you misunderstood me.  the Brooke shell bodies were in England at the Blakely foundry. 
so the mystery of the 'Blakely' mark on the sabot goes on.
Regards,
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 07:34:17 PM »
Fort Blakeley is around the town of Blakeley, AL which no longer exists but did back then.  Note the spelling which I used earlier also (extra "e" in Blakeley) -- the same spelling as is stamped on the top of some of these sabots.