Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Anvil Cap for a 3.3"Read Shell  (Read 8815 times)

callicles

• Email
Anvil Cap for a 3.3"Read Shell
« on: May 12, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »
My brother found a beautiful 3.3" Confederate percussion shell.  However, the fuze and anvil cap is missing. Does anyone here have  an anvil cap for this shell for sale or know of where we might buy one?

Thanks

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Anvil Cap for a 3.3"Read Shell
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 04:18:37 PM »
Congrats to him.

If he found it at Milledgeville, those anvil caps are toughies because in my experience, having owned several, they take a slightly larger than usual diameter anvil cap.  A regular CS one sits down in there, but it is not a tight fit.

I do not have any spare CS anvil caps in either size at present, but I do have some of the sliders that go in those shells.  I have some US anvil caps which look pretty much the same from the outside, but I'd not advise mixing one of those into this.

callicles

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:57:26 PM »
Thanks emike.  The 3.3" Read shell is not from Milledgeville, but from the Vicksburg Campaign. I hope someone here has one or knows a dealer who does.

I will ask my brother if he would be interested in a slider (if it fits the Read) while he waits to purchase an anvil cap.  Will get back with you. Am I correct in assuming he might purchase the slider from you? If he wishes to do so, and you are willing, should we discuss price with you via PM or here on this site/thread?

Again, thanks so much.  That's why we love this site
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:53:35 AM by callicles »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 04:32:24 PM »
That's even better.  Maybe a regular CS 2 pc percussion fuse anvil cap will fit then.  I am not aware of anyone who has one available at present unless perhaps the Plumber one here does.  They come up from time to time and I'll let you know if I find one before you announce he got one someplace else.

Sent you a pm on the slider.