Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Electrolysis Question for Nose Portion of 3.8" Hotchkiss Bolt  (Read 3377 times)

callicles

• Email
I'm sorry to hog the forum with questions.  This morning I found the nose portion to the above mentioned item (hollow-nose variant, I assume).  Usually on projectiles, I drill into the item in order to secure a screw and attach the negative clip, etc.  However, with this, I'm wondering if I could simply clean the hollow section a bit and attach the negative directly to the iron, thus eliminating the need to drill into the iron.  Any ideas, suggestions?  Pictures below -- Thanks. 

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Electrolysis Question for Nose Portion of 3.8" Hotchkiss Bolt
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 06:03:11 PM »
That should work.  I do that most of the time, unlike the "Driller Killers" and it works.  Good news is if you are using a battery charger with a voltage meter you will know right away if current is coursing through it.  If not, keep fiddling until you get a decent reading.

Another nice find -- you are on a roll.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 08:40:56 PM »
I usually clean a small area of the iron and wrap with wire and connect to a clamp or clip.  In your case, you can simply attach a clamp directly to the projectile  Just scrape a little to the area where you wish to connect.

Jim J.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 09:10:29 AM »
Do a Google search for "Mueller clip".  They come in a variety of sizes, this is what we use in the Lab when connecting artifacts up in an ER system.  The jaws are serrated, and make a good electrical connection when attached.
NOTE - look on the inside of the clamp and see if there is a strip of copper thin stock.  If there is, usually on the larger ones, remove it!  This will prevent plating, if you have an error in the system at any time.
Jim J.

Ripcon

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 09:49:38 PM »
Great find, Callicles!