Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Iron Spherical Shell Matrix  (Read 8554 times)

misipirelichtr

• Email
Iron Spherical Shell Matrix
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:08:31 PM »
In viewing the same fellow CW collector's collection that I referenced in the post on unusual CS fuse adapters, I also saw something else I'd not ever seen before.  Again, it may be easily explained, or pretty common - but it was a first for me.  In a display of Confederate artillery shells, frags, and fuses recovered from an impact area in Union lines, was about half of a spherical shell fragment filled with what I can only describe as molten iron put into the shell prior to it being fired.  Has anyone out there seen a spherical shell filled with a "molten iron matrix"?  It appears to me the shell broke apart after being fired or upon impact.  A fair number of fragments with the molten iron matrix have been recovered from this site by my friend and his relic hunting partner.  I;ve attached a photo of the entire half shell and a closeup that clearly shows the shell walls and matrix.  Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.  Thanks!

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Iron Spherical Shell Matrix
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:14:20 PM »
Have you ever seen Schindler's List?  The factory workers sabotaged the shells I think by putting sand in them, not powder if I recall. 

I have seen a few CW shells with iron slag poured into the cavity.  I always chalked it up to Yankee War Profiteering. I figured the inspectors checked the shells by weight and couldn't tell if they were filled with shot or junk slag.  Unscrupulous manufacturers passed off this junk.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:31:08 PM »
You are right Mike, just junk.
Real matrix was either pitch or sulphur and sawdust in cannister.
John

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:37:17 PM »
Thanks guys.  That makes perfect sense.  I'd simply not seen it before.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:36:41 AM »
Mike, I'm actually watching Schindler's List in parts, started yesterday. 

I actually had a sideloader drilled by Harry a couple of years ago--when he drilled it it was completely empty, no matrix at all.  Wonder how that happened?
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »
Mike,
     I agree that it may have been a form of sabotage.  I believe that it took place at the Arsenal where  the projectile was prepared.  As far as I can determine Allegheny Arsenal received their shells/case shot from the foundries as cast and cleaned,
and saboted if manufactured as such. Filling case shot, shells, fixing etc. was done by arsenal workers.  Projectiles with sand and slag would have easily discovered during the filling process. Empty shells may have just been an over-site by the workers, but sand and slag would have to have been intentionally passed through the system. 
     This may not seem to strange considering during the 1864 election any worker at the Allegheny Arsenal voting for McClellan was to be fired and sent to the front.  I can imagine that there were some very angry workers.
Dan

Jine

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 06:25:11 AM »
That is a great little tidbit, 6lbgun, pertaining to the Allegheny workers. I don't spend (waste?) much time pondering alternative histories, but I do wonder on occasion how different things might have been had McClellan won.

Sabotage and sabot(ed) in the same post brought to my attention that they are directly related. I'd never considered that before, but I'm sure it has been on this forum before "my time", possibly in great detail :).
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)