Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Seeking Input From The Sages  (Read 4022 times)

Jine

Seeking Input From The Sages
« on: November 02, 2016, 09:06:02 AM »
I haven't been able to ID this round:

.36 in diameter at base, nearly .38 just below groove

.53 in length

116 grains

A Virginia find, but beyond the find and specs I'm lost. Any ideas out there?

TIA! :)

"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

Pete George

• Email
Re: Seeking Input From The Sages
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 07:10:55 PM »
  Let me say with humility, I do not consider myself to be one of the bullet experts at this forum. After 40+ years of digging and dealing ACW bullets, I've learned a lot about them, but I don't think I'm a "top level" advisor on bullets.  But since nobody else has answered your bullet-ID request, I'll give it a try.

To me it looks to be a slightly eroded .36 Colt, T&T#28. In addition to the general body shape, the measurements you report are extremely close to those reported in the Thomas-&-Thomas book for #28, the .36 Colt. By "slightly eroded" I mean some of its sharp corners and nose-tip have been somewhat rounded off by slight corrosion or "bumping" against other bullets in a cartridge box. I suspect erosion is a factor, because your bullet is 5 grains lighter and .02-inch shorter than T&T#28.

Regards,
Pete

Jine

Re: Seeking Input From The Sages
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 07:28:38 AM »
Well I indeed get my answer from a sage, if a humble one! Many thanks for your reply Pete. While I'll never approach your level of knowledge in all things arty, that is my larger area of interest.

Most of my bullet finds remain unidentified except for those that are obvious in their design. This bullet was given to me by someone who said they had never identified it, but I'm calling your ID a match.

Appreciate you much, my brother!
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)