Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Triangular honey hole...  (Read 2974 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Triangular honey hole...
« on: October 23, 2016, 07:23:04 PM »

A fellow I know was digging years ago at an old, former military site and dug 2 of these big iron triangles, and he kindly gifted me this one.  One of the triangles had the bottom layer of 8" balls still intact (9 of the 10 anyway).  I guess they sunk down in the ground and the soldiers were too lazy to dig them up so they left them along with these triangles.  Makes sense they used something like these to keep their cannon ball pyramids from collapsing.  Here is one 8" ball I had, but it will require 20!  Fortunately, I have a few more here and aplenty in the process of electrolysis so when they are all done and hauled back this will be one heck of a stack.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Triangular honey hole...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 01:11:47 AM »
Now that's a cool relic to have.  Congratulations.
Best,
Carl

alwion

• Email
Re: Triangular honey hole...
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 09:05:48 AM »
It is interesting. I decided to make a stack as a display. Now not having the room, I ran across some 2", and decided to use them( who but Mike has access to 20 @8 " :o or the room. )I then researched and my question is, was a 3 sided or 4 sided stack prefered, or did it just depend on qty they had. Looking online, I saw both, and in an old CW picture I saw a long stack( 100's of balls) based on the 4 sided stack, with a 3 sided stack anchoring it at the end. I just bought a couple extra and made the 4 sided, but seeing Mikes may make a ring for them. Obviously a 3 sided was used, was a 4 also common?