Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Field trip  (Read 7242 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Field trip
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 07:45:45 AM »
Carl,
   Are these recent digs or the previous owner just didn't take care of them?
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 08:02:31 AM »
John,

Most were not recent digs as he dug for many years but he did not run anything through electrolysis or disarm them.  They were kept in a dry shed.  Some are cleaning up mint and most are in pretty good shape.
Best,
Carl

natdigger

• Email
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 08:42:32 PM »
Carl,
 I will cut your grass. You can pay me in shells. :D :D :D

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 10:24:01 PM »
eMike might frown on me using his treasure to get my grass cut.   ;D
Best,
Carl

natdigger

• Email
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 11:29:59 PM »
I swear he said it was cool. He said to make sure the first payments are with the 3.3in reads. Haha
Jason ;D

R. J. in LA

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 07:05:46 AM »
Carl, looks like you're preparing for a spring Easter egg hunt! :) When you get another batch on your lawn, send more photos. Thanks.
eMike did well on that find, congrats Mike!

alwion

• Email
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 02:40:36 PM »
Picture them all painted in different colorsssssssss

ETEX

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 11:49:13 AM »
All I can say about all the photos and iron is WOW!!!

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 11:15:37 PM »
There were also quite a few rare fuses in this group.  Here are two of the heretofore unpublished ones:

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 11:26:01 PM »
Some research on the plate shown above with me after 7 hours in 93 degree heat.  Found by a forum member.  I have been gone so long (16 of past 18 days) I am struggling to get current so I am sure there is more info in what he has sent, but this blew me away:

NOTES OF OPERATIONS. Our cannon embrasures were effectuallv closed by muntlets of steel plates. The enemy’s sharpshooters plastered them thick with lead, but only one of them was injured — a three-inch shot cut a clean hole through it, but did no further damage.
We expended daily from twelve thousand to thirty-six thousand rounds of rifle cartridges ; our supply was not great. The enemy poured a constant stream of lead into our lines, and Gibson gave every man who would bring in so much lead paroles of twenty-four hours to visit Mobile. A number of enterprising fellows eagerly pursued this traffic and greatly enjoyed the reward. This garrison, with those of Tracey. Hunger and Mobile were included in the general capitulation of the department.
We evacuated Mobile on the morning of April 12. The mayor of the city was sent with a white flag out to the fleet to say that Mobile was ready for their peaceable occupation without any injury to person or to property. We marched to Meridian, where the band of Gibson’s Louisiana Brigade, then the only Confederate band in the world, on the night of May 13, gave me their last sad serenade. Many officers of the regiments which had been serving with me waited on me in a body and gave me their last farewell.
Next day ‘we scattered over our own Southern country seeking our homes, and at once addressed ourselves to those peaceful duties which have regenerated the Southern States and crowned the Confederate name with honors even more noble than anyone had won in war. -Charlottesville, Va., August 6, 1894.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:28:12 PM by emike123 »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 09:21:34 AM »