Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 2.6 Wiard Cannister plates  (Read 8219 times)

mikep

• Email
2.6 Wiard Cannister plates
« on: June 19, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »
I have what I believe to be 2  2.6" Wiard cannister plates.  One is cast iron....the other lead???  The lead plate still has the remnants of tin crimped over the edge.  Does all this sound normal?

thanks,
Mike Pilcher

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: 2.6 Wiard Cannister plates
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 06:53:04 AM »
    MP,   sorry, but I can not help you.  There are others here much more knowledgeable in cannisters than I. They might not have seen your question in this category. You might want to re enter it under 'artillery', and I am sure someone will give you the info you need.......

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:26:18 PM »
Good suggestion Dave and moved it is!   

Mike: You might want to post some pics if you can as they help a lot to determine what something is.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:28:53 PM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

mikep

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 11:47:54 AM »
Thanks for the "move" guys.  I realized I put it in the wrong category pretty quick, but didn't have a chance to get back in a timely manner. 
Thanks again,
Mike 

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 03:18:45 PM »
From what I know the 2.6" Wiard canister comes in two types.  1 is similar to most other canister types and has a tin sided type with a wood sabot and the only ones I have seen have iron top and bottom plates (thicker bottom than top as like other canister rounds).  I have a set and Dave Gotter is restoring the round using .85 caliber lead shot (I am a few short and even have a post in the "Wanted" section for some I need, like 4).

The other style is the super rare lead sided and bottomed type.  I have a 3.6" Wiard of these and there is an iron top that is separate, but who knows if it is original.  I do not have a 2.6" lead one and I don't think Dave Gotter does either.

You might want to eMail him through the forum as he rarely checks in.

Whats odd to me is that your lead top plate still has tin crimped over it.  I don't think there is any tin on the lead sided canister version.  I may be wrong.

So, I don't think I have advanced the ball much for you, but those are some things I have observed about this odd-sized canister.  I am sure yours is right, it is just different from what I have seen and observed.

callicles

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 11:39:01 PM »
I post below pictures of an artifact.  It is lead and has the word "BASE" stamped upon it.  I spoke with Mr. Gotter and he stated that it was probably a Wiard base plate.  It was found in a plowed field, so it is a bit damaged. The one thing I've determined is that canister relics are very complex and mysterious for scholars and collectors alike, even after all these years.

The last picture is of what we "believe" to be the slithers or remnants of the lead can which contained the canister.

I don't know if this helps you out at all.  But, when it comes to canister questions I feel your pain.  It seems there is little historical evidence for collectors or scholars to work with.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:43:40 PM by callicles »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 05:50:30 PM »
Thats neat.  I do not believe the 2.6" lead ones like your 3.6" Wiard are marked "BASE"

mikep

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 09:03:27 PM »
Very interesting!  I've got to spend a bit of time learning how to post on the forum and I'll get some pictures up!

Mike Pilcher

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 10:14:14 PM »
BASE :) is that like "Face Towards Enemy"?
John