Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Rare Primer  (Read 1640 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Rare Primer
« on: November 03, 2021, 10:40:54 PM »
I picked this up with the grenade as well.  It is a cannon primer that has a cup on top and I believe it is struck with a hammer-type tool to ignite it.  The shaft is about 2.25" long.  It came out of the river at Selma a long time ago.  I picked up 2 of them and will be selling one at the Central Virginia Show in a little over a week (Nov 13th).  The other goes in my cabinet.
Best,
Carl

Steve Phillips

• Email
Re: Rare Primer
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 08:16:35 AM »
We always called these primers golf tees. I?ve always wondered why none are found on battlefields. Maybe they were for the navy.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 09:37:20 PM »
Steve:  I don't know much about them.  I suspect you've found a few of them!!!  I looked through a few books after getting it but no luck.  For some reason in the back of my head I had it that they were made for use by the Navy for some of the bigger guns (32-lber, 42-lber) that were left over from the war of 1812.  For the cannons such as the Brooke rifles made during the war, they were fitted to used hammer locks.  I would imagine the pan at top was filled with powder and lit with a port fire or possible stuck with a hammer.  But I don't know.  I hope someone can provide some education for me.  I have seen a few over the years but no distinct memory of where they were recovered or details on use.
Best,
Carl

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 07:41:13 AM »
As far as I know they have only been found in the river at Selma. Many different style primers were made at Selma. The rarest is the tin plated iron primers.