Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: My first shell! I believe is a 3" CS Marshall  (Read 4844 times)

LaGold

My first shell! I believe is a 3" CS Marshall
« on: February 06, 2015, 07:42:34 PM »
I made this find detecting last Saturday! Hoping to get second opinions on the ID of this shell.
I was told there was three variations of the shell and mine was the rarest of the three. Looking for some confirmation!

LaGold

Re: My first shell! I believe is a 3" CS Marshall
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 07:46:02 PM »
3 inches in diameter 7.5 lbs and roughly 7 1/2 to 8 inches in height. 9 1/2 inches in circumference.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 08:06:46 PM »
I'm not good enough to ID it, seems different a little from the one in the book, but I really like it!!! Nice find!!!!

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 08:20:38 PM »
Greetings LaGold and welcome to the Forum.
Your measurements favor the shell described on page 250 of Pete George's and Tom Dickey's second revision.
A C.S. 2.9" Long Sabot "AtlantaWorks" long Read Common Shell. Rare-9, however my eyes aren't as they were and I leave it to the man who authored the reference.
Regards
John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 09:06:43 PM »
  Just a brief reply, because the Beta Blocker heart-med is still sapping my energy.   LaGold's shell is a CS Marshall Arsenal 4-Stud Plate Sabot shell, as shown on page 213 of the Dickey-&-George 1993 Edition.

Bart, the Atlanta Works Read shell you mentioned has a copper Read ring-sabot. LaGold's photo shows his shell has green-patina copper all the way across its base, so it cannot be a ring-sabot.

Regards,
Pete

coonboy

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 09:31:25 PM »
I can tell you for sure that it is exactly what Pete said it was. I took 12 out of the creek at Double Bridges (four miles from my home) at Crumps Hill Battle Site
 along with numerous C.S. Shenkl Bolts and C.S. Schenkl Shells.  As far as I know, my mother dug the only fired example, like yours, in this area at Pleasant Hill where I grew up. Also quiet a few were found at or near the Powder Mill at Marshall.  Great and very rare find.  Coonboy
Terry

coonboy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 09:49:30 PM »
I also intended to add that the fired example was a ground explosion and the sabot retrieved from the hole was an excellent example of the studs on sabot which Tom photographed . Coonboy
Terry

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 10:07:21 PM »
No, contest here. Can you post a photo of the sabot?
John

LaGold

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 10:27:11 PM »
my name is John I thought you was asking me for the pic but now I see who you was asking.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:31:11 PM by LaGold »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 09:25:21 AM »
Thank you John. I wish I was young enough to dive in the riverr with all of you and help pull out one f those Schenk.
John B.

coonboy

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 11:22:28 AM »
John  B.  If my health gets a little better, I will try to look through my shell bases and try to locate it .  Coonboy
Terry

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 12:21:51 PM »
Thank you Coonboy, gosh you must have a real name:)
I'd love to see a clear coseup of just the sabot if you have one. I would like to see how it is attached to the shell base.
Kind Regrds,
John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 07:04:50 PM »
  Brother Bart, the D&G 1993 book's page 213 includes a photo of an undamaged complete "4-Stud Plate" sabot. It was simply cast onto the shell's iron base, and held there by the four copper studs projecting up into the shell's base, and a single short iron stud on the center of the projectile's base (whose imprint is visible at the center of the sabot's inner side in the photo).

I called it a "Mullane 4-Stud Plate Sabot" in the 1993 book because its operating principle (transmitting the rifling's spin to the projectile by means of several round-bodied studs projecting up into the projectile's base) is the same as what was at that time known as a Mullane Type 2 sabot.

Regards,
Pete

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 09:47:33 PM »
Dear Pete,
   Interesting, do you think that the person who designd the Mullane alsodsigned the Marshall shell wth an added stud?
If anyone has a clear and closep image of this sabot, in the same psition as  the book,I would appreciate one.
Thank again Pete
Regards,
John aka Bart

alwion

• Email
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 08:40:52 AM »
so the one in the book is a 3.3" and this one is 3" and lighter, , should I add a footnote in the book? was this one previously unknown in the  size?