Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Loading Tongs  (Read 9195 times)

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
Loading Tongs
« on: February 15, 2013, 06:44:28 PM »
Does anyone have a drawing or the dimensions of the Loading Tongs for the 8" Siege Howitzer as listed in the 1860 Gibbons manual?
Thanks
Dan

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Loading Tongs
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 08:44:54 PM »
I have a pair of real tongs that came with a dedicated 10" ball I got. Not sure if these will match what you're looking for, but they might.  If so, I'll do the legwork for you.

6lbgun

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 10:01:15 PM »
Thanks Mike
    Just to be clear, I am looking for the Loading Tongs, not the Shell Hooks.  The copy of Gibbons I am using is an on line copy with no plates.  The original manual had a plate showing these Tongs.
Best
Dan

joevann

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 10:37:32 PM »
I think this is the plate you are looking for. 

6lbgun

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:44:05 PM »
Thanks
    This is the wrong plate.  It is listed as No 212, plate 13.  I should have mentioned that before.
Dan

joevann

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 11:32:28 PM »
I think it really is the plate you want.   The text in my copy is "Loading-tongs, Fig. 202, Pl. 27, for placing in the charge and shell of 8 -inch
siege-howitzers, are formed of two arms so hinged together, that the bent ends of the short
arms will enter the ears of the shell, and the grooved and widened ends of the long ones will clasp between them the cartridge. The implement is made of such a length, that the
cartridge can be thrust into the chamber by reaching in one hand, holding the tongs with the
cartridge in position."  Of course, my copy was published in 1863.

joevann

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 11:39:24 PM »
That is the small item in the top left.  I don't have any dimensions.  This edition was revised from the first edition, but I doubt the loading tongs changed in form in three years.  The 8-inch siege howitzer didn't.

6lbgun

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 12:32:43 AM »
Thank you.  I was working from the 1860 edition.  They must have changed the plates in latter editions.
Best,
Dan

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 06:56:54 AM »
  I do not have this book.     What is the piece described as in fig. 202 ??  Is that the gunners pincers ??    And what the heck is 204 ??!!

6lbgun

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 10:07:10 AM »
Dave,
     Fig. 204 is the leather top for a Budge-Barrel.  It was used in Forts and Batteries, not with field batteries.
The Budge-Barrel was used to convey cartridges from the magazine to the batteries, for the purpose of distributing them by means of the haversacks or pass-boxes to different pieces.  There is an illustration of the complete Budge-Barrel in Mordecai.
     Fig. 202 is a not Gunners Pincers.  It is a Loading Tong used with the 8" siege howitzer.
Regards
Dan

joevann

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 02:56:23 PM »
The 1863 Edition is very much revised and expanded.  It also contains a section on rifled guns.  Two years of warfare changed a few things.  Here's a link where you can get a free edition with all the illustrations, and it is searchable!   
http://www.swcwa.com/Links/Military_Info/Gibbon-s_The_Atrillerists_Manual.PDF

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 04:47:29 PM »
Thank you for the download Joe.
John