Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Cleaning and preserving iron relics  (Read 7053 times)

Steve Phillips

• Email
Cleaning and preserving iron relics
« on: March 20, 2015, 11:28:17 AM »
I made another video for YouTube and Vimeo. This one shows how to clean and preserve iron.
http://vimeo.com/122736060

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Cleaning and preserving iron relics
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 03:00:14 PM »
Very good!  Thanks for sharing.  The tumbler really did a great job of cleaning.  I need to set one of those up.
Best,
Carl

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 04:08:26 PM »
     Watched the one on land mines too.  Liked them both!  Didn't know about the taper on the land mine adjuster.
Mine's about .010     Should have said "the one I have tapers .010"   Mine's mine fuse??
Dan

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 04:53:56 PM »
I saw that one too:
     https://vimeo.com/122100452
Loved all the eye candy in the background.
Best,
Carl

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 07:07:23 PM »
On the fakes I have seen there was no taper. I wish museums would quit having fake stuff. People so rarely see real land mines that the fakes will e sold or displayed as real. I hope they don't fake coal torpedoes, I like having the real thing.

John M. Brooke

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 10:06:06 PM »
Thanks for the great videos! Your not alone when it comes to museums and fake stuff. I noticed nearly all of the letters and paper artifacts at the Lee Chapel Museum said facsimile in small raised letters in the bottom corner. Why even bother to have a museum if your not going to display the real thing. Civil War museums trying to tell a politically correct story and keep the relic displays to a minimum is another thing I don't like. You visit a museum to see the stuff!

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 05:53:58 AM »
At least they did mark the items as copies. At some museums they don't even mark them.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 04:42:17 PM »
Sorry Steve...reproduction coal torpedoes other repro torpedo fuses from Mike Kochan's display at the Baltimore Show today:

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 06:06:40 PM »
Terrible

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 06:15:33 PM »
Is this legal? How come people who forge art are discouraged and collectors like us allow forgeries. I imagine they are not forgeries until someone says it is real. I think reputable show s would not allow to be displayed. I have never allowed anyone to use with my knowledge any of my collection to make a copy of anything. I have been asked.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 08:46:06 AM »
All,

There are certainly concerns to be had about forgeries of period artifacts.  The perpetrators like the Strawberry Plains cartridge faker do us all damage and cause harm to everyone coming into contact with their "creations". 

The other side of the story can be just as compelling if you recognize Steve's caveat that it isn't "bad" until someone tries to pass a replica off as "real".  I have for some years now been asked to speak to various groups about topics related to the ACW.  In the doing I have put together several different programs that are usually presented in a Power Point format. Supplementing projected images with a "hands on" replica - particularly something like the land mine fuses so expertly replicated by historian Mike Kochan - adds immensely to relevant presentations.  Over the years I have accumulated a number of such items which serve well.  While it is likely that somewhere and sometime some innocently replicated artifacts have been misrepresented to the naive buyer it is my humble opinion that such replications can and do serve a worthy purpose.  The argument could be compared to the misuse of many many items - say firearms used for criminal purposes, or perhaps medicines misused by drug addicts, replica firearms "antiqued" for sale as originals, etc.

I agree, reproducing ANY artifact to purposefully deceive/defraud is wrong.  But if I'm going to go to a presentation somewhere and hand out a "peterhead" Archer fuse or land mine fuze for "show and tell" I'd sure like for it to be a repro.  For myself it is a service to our community of interest to have some of these items available.  How they are used is a matter of character.  And so the debate will continue.

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 10:32:39 AM »
Good morning
     There are times that a reproduction can be useful when educating an audience about projectiles and fuses.  But I do have a a problem with exact copies.
   ALL reproductions should be marked as such with deep stampings or marks.  All dimensions should be different than the original.  This means ALL diameters, lengths, widths and TPI should be easily recognizable as being incorrect.  EXACT copies are not needed for educational purposes. 
    EXACT reproduction or fakes have no place in our collecting field.  In future years they will bite new collectors in the butt.  We should not be responsible for helping to promote this.
Thanks
Dan

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 11:32:12 AM »
That is a good idea. Deep stampings that could not be removed on all parts should be required.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 10:55:04 AM »
Yes just look at the confusion over the CS navy buttons and the restrikes on original dies. I am all for deep striking, especially in fakers faces